Sign in to follow this  
qwertyk1d

Drift Max E30 2/4DR M-Tech II Style FRP Kits

Has anyone used one before? I'd like to see what they look like. Are they similar to the real thing?

I am in the process of fitting one.... If you are happy to spend a few weekends with a grinder and glassing it back up they are great for the $, but be prepared to do a lot of work if you want it to look mint. I am going for 95% good which has required cutting bits out of the top on both front and back bumpers and re glassing. Side skirts will be a whole new story but its cheap so you just need to know what your getting into before buying. If your in wellington you can have a look at where I am upto.

Im not in a rush to get one so maybe I'll wait until you finish yours. I cant even get hold of Driftmax to get real photos of the kit. The photos on Trademe are of real M-Tech IIs lol. Are you running a 4 door or 2 door?

I got a FRP kit fitted to my 4 door about 6 years ago, needed a bit of work to get it fitted, still looks good tho, link to my car under my sig.

I'm really interested in doing this also. Last time I checked 'Drift Max' only had the 2 door version available. Are they quite hard to fit due to the nature of them being fibre glass from moulds?

Blairs car looks stunning with that tech 2 on. I would be stoked if mine looked like that wen I was done!

I had a quick look at that thread of yours from some time ago Blair, but was the kit originally for a 2 door and then customised to suit your car?

I'm really interested in doing this also. Last time I checked 'Drift Max' only had the 2 door version available. Are they quite hard to fit due to the nature of them being fibre glass from moulds?

Blairs car looks stunning with that tech 2 on. I would be stoked if mine looked like that wen I was done!

I had a quick look at that thread of yours from some time ago Blair, but was the kit originally for a 2 door and then customised to suit your car?

nah it was for a 4 door, as it has all the door pods, however the sideskirts needed a bit of work.

Asked drift max on trademe if they can get a hold of 4dr kits for these and they said their supplier only makes 2dr versions. I wonder if there is any one on bimmersport that might be able to help out. Someone may know someone who can still get to the 4 door kit

The kit they advertise on Trademe as 2dr/4dr is 2 door complete or 4 door without the door pods... The front and rear aren't to bad but require work, the side skirts are a nightmare.

They are still advertising 4 door kits on the auctions though? Tut tut.

Yep. I think they mean the side skirts + the front and rear bumpers will fit either 2 or 4 door variants. But the door caps will only fit a 2 door. I guess you could buy the kit and for the 4 door some how (if you were good as fibre glass work) make something up for the door caps. You might have to glass it all together in one long piece and then measure it and cut it to fit your car? I guess it could be done in time and carefully.

The kit they advertise on Trademe as 2dr/4dr is 2 door complete or 4 door without the door pods... The front and rear aren't to bad but require work, the side skirts are a nightmare.

Well its a shame theres no place to get 4 door caps any more. Was there a lot of cutting away and re fibre glassing when you did it?