Sign in to follow this  
mistermince

weird ticking noise

M20B25 engine is making a strange ticking sound. Has done so for the last 20,000 km's since I owned the vehicle. Not sure if this is a common problem or not - can't seem to find any info on it. Haven't had any engine warnings in this time and has been regularly serviced every 5,000kms. Engine has done 235,000kms. Thought it was something to do with the belts but there was no change after the mechanic readjusted them. Does not make the noise when coasting in neutral

Those engines are prone to tappet noise. Have adjusted them before, hated that job

If it was an M30 I'd be worried, I suffered the loss of a cam shaft due the banjo bolt falling out of the oil spray bar starving the cam of lube. Don't think the M20's have that issue.

Regardless of maintenance I always like to follow up on anything I feel is a bit off - despite being serviced at a reputable euro place they happily told the PO that the valve tick was nothing to worry about. Damn near f'ed the engine.

M20B25 engine is making a strange ticking sound. Has done so for the last 20,000 km's since I owned the vehicle. Not sure if this is a common problem or not - can't seem to find any info on it. Haven't had any engine warnings in this time and has been regularly serviced every 5,000kms. Engine has done 235,000kms. Thought it was something to do with the belts but there was no change after the mechanic readjusted them. Does not make the noise when coasting in neutral

My E30 does the same thing, had a mechanic do some work on it and he said that its pretty common on the E30s to do this, i took his word for it so i guess its nothing to worry about.