Sign in to follow this  
d.p.n.s

e34 bilstein b8 shocks

hi all

ive got a set of votgland springs in my e34 touring (60mm front 40mm rear) and still just running the standard shocks.

its time to upgrade and ive been looking at the bilstein b8 as I believe they work well with lower springs.

has anyone used them before?

or any other options as the roads here in chch arnt the best.

cheers

I have Bilstein HD's (B6) in mine front and rear, as most people on the web preferred them over the sports (B8) even though I have lowered springs front and rear. It seems the HD's can handle lower springs no problem with no ill effects at all.

I had sports in my lowered E36, and they were too harsh for me, so I went to HD's and they were a lot better. I don't know if the difference is as marked for the E34 versions?, there is much debate about the differences between sports and HD's online. Take from it what you will, but from what I read, most still preferred the HD's. From my E36 experience, at least the sports were far 'sportier', but too sporty for me that's for sure.

Even a 520i is plenty heavy, I guess, and I don't know how you want it to drive, but you may even want to consider the touring versions (B4)?, if you are not going to fang it everywhere you go.

Roads in Auckland are pretty custard as well, and if my E34 was a DD I would probably go B4, but as its a weekender I don't mind it being a bit on the firm side.

I guess it really depends on what you are wanting to do with it in the end?

thanks for that....it I a DD and an old touring at that so the b4 could be a better option ..

cheers