Sign in to follow this  
rusteee

Oil Catch can

Hi Guys

Just thought I'd share incase someone had the same problem as me and may be interested, or if anyone has opinion on how I could change it for the better, understand that people may frown on this also. I've got a 540i that had an intermittent problem with smoking when starting the beast. Would have put up with it but got bad enough to create a big smoke cloud in west city car park, and didn't like the idea of gunking up the valves.As the PCV etc was perfect, put it down to the separator, which had been suggested. Instead of having the major job of replacing the oil separator (which I know is the ideal fix), I went with installing a catch can system, more cost effective, to rid the separator completely. Its still in the testing/temporary mounted phase, but have done about 2500kms with no issues, no smoke, and no more oil consumption. Very happy with the results so far. Heres a couple of pics..

Hope everyones had a good Xmas eve, and Merry Christmas!!

post-5533-0-46837400-1419401626_thumb.jp

post-5533-0-06989600-1419401708_thumb.jp

post-5533-0-78327900-1419401738_thumb.jp

Edited by rusteee
  • Like 4

Will be better with proper fittings like 90 degree bends etc. But at the moment, its a good trial going well. Driving long distance (motorway), I would get bugger all oil from it, but shorter, around town trip like maybe 20km through traffic, end up with about 1/4 cup or so which would have just ended up in the intake. Need to pick someones knowledge on a couple of things, I'm thinking that I should possibly put a normally open solenoid valve on the drain thats tapped in to the drain back from the remote oil filter housing, as to not create a vacuum line through there as well, not too sure whether this is neccessary? Also with the extra length now added to the system with the hoses, will the warmer air being sucked into the intake, create any issues? In a sense that, that air is not sensed as part of the intake air temp. Not saying I've experienced any issues, but would like to know if these things need to be taken into account.