Sign in to follow this  
garg

Advice for suspension

Hey gusy, bit of a n00b to beamers - I have just bought a stock standard (part from 17" Viper alloys) 96 323i. Basically I would love to have a bit of a play round with the suspension.

-If I were to only change the springs what brand would you guys recommend for best ride quality. I'm not really after el cheapo Jamex/King/Cobra springs etc...

-If I were to look at changing the complete suspension package to maybe some height adjustable/damper adjustabe full coilover shocks what would the recommendation be?

cheers,

Andrew.

I've got the Jamex super low 6cyl springs in my car (my understanding is 4cyl springs are slightly softer???). They give the car a really nice ride height and it handles really nicely through corners etc...

Can be a bit bumpy but all lowered cars are. I've also added a front strut brace to reduce flexing and am currently thinking about a rear one depending on ease of installation around my sub box.

Posted Image

Edited by *RJ*

RJ - You're from nzhondas rite? Spanky's mate?

Yea im just worried mainly about ride quality/handling. I would the car to be slightly lower but not if it means sacrificing ride quality.

Yeah I'm a long time NZHer. Spanky is a good mate of mine - we're always getting into mischeif together.

Are you saying you want it slightly lower than mine or slightly lower than what your is currently? Post up some pics of yours.

heh i haven't really decided exactly how low I want to go - I just want to go lower! Really wanting to get a grip on what options there were first.

Posted Image

Sorry but that is the only photo I have as I've just bought it...

Many 3-series is low enough for everydays use already, plus you might want to check if you have M-springs installed out of factory. (mine did, option 704 I think, not to confuse with "M3"-springs)

drop 1 inch, you'll need to be careful at multi-story car parks

drop 2 inches, you'll need to slow right down for speed bumps

drop 3 inches, you'll need a LVV cert! (correct me if I am wrong)

That said, are you after the look or performance?

Eibach is a good brand I heard for springs (ProStreet is the series, I think)

I'm kinda after a 1-2 inch drop, partly for performance and partly for cosmetics. Currently I'm looking at buying some H&R Sport springs for about the $450 mark. Haven't managed to find a decent price on Eiback springs yet!