Sign in to follow this  
Blackfrogg

e30 e36 rack swap + Ps delete

Been doing some reading on power steering delete which seems to be quite common in the E30s but is avoided in the e36.

Just wondering if anyway has put a e36 rack into the e30 and deleted the power steering at the same time.

Did you buy a kit? Thoughts on the results?

Done a bit of reading on this myself. With a PS delete, the faster the rack, the heavier the steering will be. i.e. E30 racks with the PS deleted will be lighter than a E36 rack with the PS deleted. The factory E30 rack was something like 4.5 turns lock to lock, which is even slower than the PS e30 rack.

A lot of the US guys delete their PS on e36 rack-swapped e30s for track use, but a lot of them seem to be saying that its really too heavy for a daily.

The other thing to be considered is that the e36 is a heavier car, so lack of PS is more of an issue.

Also, if you do go about deleting it - do it properly - I.e disconnect the hoses from the rack, otherwise you will be pushing fluid unassisted back through the pump, and it will have the effect of making it even heavier.

There is some argument on whether you need to allow fluid to flow through between the two banjo bolts with a delete. You can buy kits that allow this to happen - whether it actually is necessary, is another question.

Eg: http://www.condorspeedshop.com/products/aluminum-power-steering-delete-block-plate-e30