Sign in to follow this  
StephenMarkB

320i E36 Head Gasket Repair Advice in Wellington

Hi,

I have a 1994 BMW 320i 6 cylinder 2000cc, over the last couple of months I have had to top the water coolant up several times, and also twice experienced the bottle under pressure. I took it to my local garage, pressure tested the radiator all okay, but a TK test has identified more than likely the head gasket going/gone.

Afraid I am rather not mechanically minded, so would like some advice on my next steps. The temperature gauge has not moved from normal 12 o'clock position, so could I assume that the engine, at this stage has not really overheated? I am just driving a couple of very small trips each week and constantly checking the water level.

Perhaps its just the gasket needing changing, and the head milling..can anyone suggest the best place to go in Wellington to take a look at what my options are...I guess I am worried about spending some money, which I don't have at the moment, to find out there's a major problem..like cylinder head replacement or cracked block which I can't afford to repair!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Literally no way to diagnose over the internet (I know you aren't asking for that) and I don't know Wellington. Anyway, that said, what do you mean by experiencing the bottle under pressure? Do you mean coolant was escaping through the cap while under pressure? Because the system works by being held under pressure (there can be too much pressure, this can be evident by swollen coolant pipes which are almost solid if you squeeze them and eventually something will blow or the pressure cap will allow pressure to be released).

If the needle hasn't gone above halfway then yes you are correct in saying it hasn't properly overheated (assuming the cooling system has enough coolant in to circulate and flow past the temp sensor)

E36 cooling system plastics are poor (I've had to replace almost very part on mine) so there can be leaks anywhere. And it is always possible your head gasket has gone. In the end you just have to have confidence in the ability of the technician working on your car. Hopefully someone here can direct you to one :)

One more thing I forgot to mention, the impeller blades on the coolant pumps are poor and it is very common for them to fall off. You can't see anything from outside the engine. But you would have probably had symptoms of overheating and there wouldn't be any heat through the cabin blowers either on-top of the pressuring up of the system and coolant loss.

Not mechanically minded and no money - why you own a BMW?

You could sell it like it is - someone will buy as a project. Then buy a jappa

You could take to a reputable BMW indie for 2nd opinion who may give a more thorough diagnosis but until the head comes off you won't know the full cost.

Unless it's a mint e36 it probsbly not economical to pay a garage to fix a HG, I sold a tidy 318is for $1500 wof and reg.

I know I know etwenty1...no money and a BMW, what was I thinking....but it's been a great car.

And your right, I guess the only way to know is to open it up and see, it's certainly not mint but it's been a great runner.

By pressure, I mean a full day after going out for quite a drive, I checked the coolant water bottle and it was hissing and gurgling at me when I released it slightly, water right up to the cap level.

I'd be prepared to pay around $1500 for repairs if it's just head planing, etc...might ring head-masters and see what they think.

head gasket gone does not mean the engine will be damaged in any way.I had a 535 with a "blown headgasket".It checked out ok but i knew something wasnt right.Would start on 5 cylinders then immediately come right.This slowly got more and more frequent,along with increased coolant use(it always used a bit of coolant i think it had a heater core leak)Eventtually i asked Page European to check and they said that everything checked out ok.But i asked them to do it anyway and sure enough it was leaking between 5 and 6.I was intending to keep the car forever,and it cost a small fortune to do all the things that showed any sign of abnormality.

They will be a good place to start.Home street wellington.Ask them how much first!

Guest MP0wer

head gasket gone does not mean the engine will be damaged in any way.I had a 535 with a "blown headgasket".It checked out ok but i knew something wasnt right.Would start on 5 cylinders then immediately come right.This slowly got more and more frequent,along with increased coolant use(it always used a bit of coolant i think it had a heater core leak)Eventtually i asked Page European to check and they said that everything checked out ok.But i asked them to do it anyway and sure enough it was leaking between 5 and 6.I was intending to keep the car forever,and it cost a small fortune to do all the things that showed any sign of abnormality.

They will be a good place to start.Home street wellington.Ask them how much first!

I might be interested to get my car tested, would you say that I should just take it to any garage and have them do a pressure test? there is a BMW service shop near by, whats the usual cost. not that my car has any symptoms I know of, but I'd like to know & keep track just to be on the safe side of things.