Sign in to follow this  
Muzzie

89 318i Water Pump Query

Noob!! (to BMWs, not forums :P ) :D

I'm looking at buying an 89 318i. Problem is it needs a water pump.

Only gonna cost me a couple hundred dollars and I figure it'll be a good car.

Two things.

1) Who has the cheapest replacement pumps?

2) Whats involved in replacing them?

Is it a case of (like a early starlet), take off fan, undo 4/5 bolts and the thing comes out as one piece, or does it involve taking the whole front off and doing things like cambelt etc too??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It's a 2 door, auto and done 144,000km. I don't know if it's an M10 or M40 - I can't get at the car to find out. I think it's M40 being facelift (non chrome bumpers and intake over the head, not beside it).

**please note, all of the past paragraph was explained to be last night and I don't know if it's right or not but..... ^_^ **

Any idea of what it's actually worth as well would be a great help. Always serviced, new trans, radiator, brakes done, it's been lowered but comes with original springs, body is mint except for 2 lil minor dimples.

Thanks In Advance.

welcome, yeah should be M40, I doubt there are any '89 M10's running around. hmmm, auto, is that what you want or cos you can't find anything else? It costs most people atleast $500 to convert more like $800 or more though so if you want a manual I'd just wait longer until one comes along. Where abouts is it from, NZ new, japan, South africa, UK? Probably worth around $3000 or less (sorry should be a bit less than that- forgot about broken water pump), have a look on Tardme and see what they going for. Can't help on water pump sorry but shop around as some prices vary heaps.

Edited by petone

Muzzie, hi my names Andrew, I txted you the other day about borrowing the trailor.

I really think - even though this is a cheap score no doubt that you should maybe put your money towards your other projects while you still have time left. BMW's just end up costing more money over time and a 318i auto even if it were only $2000 would still take a few months to sell, all of which costs will esculate.

Theres not such a demand for 318 autos these days, most people expect the whole ... i can get a 320 for that price so yours is way over priced sorta thing.. $2000 would be about realistic but yeah even still that may take a while to sell at this time of hte year when people arent buying.

Hey, I live in Papakura and dont mind coming to have a look at hte car if you want to know more about it. Have a fair idea where to look for all the common rust spots, faults to unearth etc etc.

Cheers

Andy

Hey Andrew - I'll pinch that bonnet off you if you don't mind :)

As for the 318i, I've sorta been a bit ambigious :D

Basically, I wanna buy it bugger all (few hundy), bung a pump in it and flick it off again.

I know it's been well treated, as it's my gfs brothers car and is always serviced and treated well. So I don't mind that it's auto, and I'm definitely not gonna convert it..... I would if I was gonna keep it - but I got enough damn cars already.

(62 Simca Aronde *restoring/rodding*, 87 Toyota Hiace, 86 Fiat Uno *turbo conversion*, 82 Toyota Starlet *race car* and a big ass car trailer)

I figure if I can double my money without any real hard work I'm happy hehehe.

Just needa know how hard it is to do the pump basically. It looks like its a simple unbolt the thing and it comes out, but thought I should check just in case.

Edited by Muzzie

Water pump on a M40 is easy- no need to do timing belt. Just remove the fan (32mm nut with left hand thread) undo the pulley, then remove the bolts that hold the pump in, then screw two of them back into the spare bosses provided. The two bolts act as a sort of puller (in reverse), pressing the old pump out of it's hole. Ive got a second hand pump if you want, but I would get a brand new one from the dealer (less than $100)

Edited by gmccormack

Water pump on a M40 is easy- no need to do timing belt. Just remove the fan (32mm nut with left hand thread) undo the pulley, then remove the bolts that hold the pump in, then screw two of them back into the spare bosses provided. The two bolts act as a sort of puller (in reverse), pressing the old pump out of it's hole. Ive got a second hand pump if you want, but I would get a brand new one from the dealer (less than $100)

You legend!! And you have PM regarding the spare pump you mentioned.

Thanks so much for ya help :)