Sign in to follow this  
akawings

Battery Replacement (2007 BMW 530i Motorsport E60)

Changed Battery today.

Do I have to register new battery?

Some people say battery won't last long if battery is not registered.

Any ideas????

(2007 BMW 530i Motorsport E60)

The car monitors the battery charge level and current consumption of components while in use and while the car is locked up 'asleep'. It uses this info to intelligently charge the battery and keep it at an optimal charge level (this differs on whether you have a lead acid battery or an AGM battery). It learns the characteristics of the battery over it's life and adapts to it, if you don't register the new battery to the vehicle including telling it what size and type t is, it will continue to act as if the old battery was installed, which won't make anything blow up or anything but people are correct when they have told you battery life may be shortened and you may have charge issues.

This is only relevant if you have an IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) installed from factory on your vehicle. It is a small block shaped device located on the negative terminal lead to your battery, should have a small cable going up to the rest of the loom separately to the large negative cable.

Don't think I've seen an e60 without one so I'm fairly certain you will.