Sign in to follow this  
Surge

E30 325i Swap

Here are some snaps of the swap we did, purchased a wrecked 325i pre-fl for the M20B25 to go into my friends 320i auto (that car was slow, and hungry on petrol)

Here's the car (1985 pre-fl 325i w/ later model M20 in it)

Posted Image

Sporteh...

Posted Image

Having to move my car out of the garage to use the pit!

Posted Image

Few E30s... Chris (with his insanely low front) had his car around soon after for a looksie..

Posted Image

We removed the M20B25 and replaced it with a retard.

Posted Image

Will have more pictures within the week...

Have some questions though:

We have 3 fuel lines (main, return and vapour) from the 320i (which is facelift) where as the M20B25 only has two pipes for fuel to go into (near the regulator and the main fuel rail, need to put the extra line in somewhere!) - any ideas where this goes?

Another note, Pre-fl to fl plumbing is a pain in the ass... Radiator has a fairly random bits of pipes left right and centre.

Edited by Surge

Excellent, picked just the right time ... :) hopefully get into my engine conversion sometime after new years.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gus is winning narrowly by two thumbs.

Edited by E30stz

Excellent, picked just the right time ... :) hopefully get into my engine conversion sometime after new years.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gus is winning narrowly by two thumbs.

The way the sun is angled onto Gus' face and how hes dressed all in white makes him look like an angel.. or god or something like that..

Oh how far from the truth though, Is it not Gus?

That 30 looks mint, props on the conversion, and nice interior i must say.

haha was awesome had 4 e30s round there :D

the red one doesnt even looked wrecked till you see the other side..

hey james- is that an e30 with a primer/dark colour door on the back in the 3 photo i see?? the one i see round town all the time with black wheels and really low???

Edited by nz320i

hey james- is that an e30 with a primer/dark colour door on the back in the 3 photo i see?? the one i see round town all the time with black wheels and really low???

Yes that would be me :lol:

Hi, That's my old car!! The red E30. I sold it a few years back to a chap who worked at beaurepair on Blenheim Rd. It was stock std and fairly tidy except the faded paint. i'm sure I saw it a few weeks ago parked at Riccarton mall. Hardly reckonise it now except I saw the old rego etched on the window MT2009.

Has it been written off now? Are you selling any bits off it as I am after a few bits and bobs? Mainly interior bits. Let me know.

Gareth

Ph 9818220

Just an update to the thread, the 2.5 is in the car as is the manual and the three pedals.

Good to see you Gareth, the 325i (2.8) is a bit of fun B)

Only trouble we are having is getting the thing started, we have sorted out the fuel line issue but I am under the understanding I need to get tricky with the engine harness pins to mate upto the fl-320i body harness. The plug I am talking about is the round 'screw-on' one that is held in by a round bracket on the passenger side near the fuse box. If anyone has any correct pin-diagrams for this plug (for a '85 325i (the engine) and a '90 320i (for the body)) please let me know.

I assume I am correct in that the 325i computer which came with the engine just needs to be mounted below the steeringwheel and power will come from the battery loom which came with the engine.

The engine is correctly earthed, is getting fuel but no spark - which I assume is directly related to the pins not lining up.

Edited by Surge

the easiest way i found is to use the FL engine loom....320i should be fine.....have not read your post in detail but thats the gist of it. you will need to change the cooling system and the front pulley wheel, waterpump if you have not already

holla

Bumpity bump,

Still at the same stage as we were when it was first posted, engine in but no worksie (mate got made redundant so he'd prefer to not spend money on this project atm)

The previous engine was a late model (90) 320i Motronic, and this (2.5) engine is a 1985 motronic, can't get the thing any spark, fuel or any other necessities to make the puppy run! I think the computer is getting no power, But I'd assume it is getting power on the basis of everything is hooked up...

Prefer using the computer which came with the old engine if thats possible, or like you mentioned Gus using the 320i computer and associated wiring loom - how much work in this?

I was under the assumption (the mother of all..) that the engine would run no problems on the basis of the engine and it's computer which came with it we're kept together, and the only problem being the car->engine plug which would have different pinouts and I'd just need to mate them up correctly (like the E30 m50 swap)...

Help? Cheers. :bowdown:

Edited by Surge