Sign in to follow this  
localdevdas

E36 issues....

Theres a little lever under the steering coloumn that makes the wheel go up and down, but to my knowledge they arent telescopic (goes back and forward) - just move your seat closer or further back...

thanx for the help buddy...

while im here.....any idea on how to change the bulbs for the headlights? I've bought a new set of xenon bulbs, but no idea as to how to go about installing them...step-by-step instructions required please.....

cheers

Eh?

Are we talking 'wannabe xenon halogen bulbs'

or

Actual HID Xenon Bulbs with HID Ballasts etc.

If the above, take off the covers, put the new ones in. Theyll be the same as the ones you got now, except less light output, and look bluer.

For option 2, check out some install stuff at understeer.com under the lighting section in the store.

IIRC, (working from memory) there's a socket at the back of the light assembly.

Turn the socket 90 degrees to the left (anticlockwise) and the whole lamp assembly just pulls out.

Disconnect the wiring harness (pull apart connectors)

I think there is a little metal clip you also have to disengage (or that might just be in the fogs - can't remember).

At this point, it is important to note that you should be using a clean handkerchief whenever you touch the lamps (the natural oil in your fingers will drastically shorten the life of any lamp operating at high temperatures). If you have already fingered the lamps, you can clean them with alcohol (propanol or similar will do - not Jim Beam).

With the clip out of the way, you can just pull the old lamp out (handling only by the base) and store it carefully (you might want to use it again - I suggest you store it in the packaging that the new lamps comes in). using the same precautions, insert the new lamp into the hole and refasten the metal clip.

Reconnect the wiring harness, push the assembly back into the hole and turn it 90 degree clockwise, until it locks into place.

Now try the lamps out.

NB: I'm assuming you have bought direct replacement 55W lamps. If you have bought 100W lamps, you 'could' just upgrade the fuses, but its not a smart move.

Let me know if this is unclear.

Cheers,

Rog

One other thing - it is not uncommon for those replacement 'blue xenon' lamps to die early. There are many stories about them only lasting a few months to a year. The plain halogen lamps will last many years...

If you've replaced your heads (all four), it looks better if you do your fogs also, otherwise you get that nice blue/white heads with yellowish fogs - not a cool look.