Sign in to follow this  
rosscoe

E60 530i Thermal Expansion (TX) Valve

Hi Guys, 

first post but old member (roscoe.. ) from 2003. go easy :)  , 

Recently bought a 2006 530i M in QLD  and had the air compressor and dryer replaced (under warranty $1700AUD) as a chirping sound was coming from the A/C, the sound would happen when it was engaged and turning at speeds between 30 and 50 km/h.  The A/C guys said it was compressor, so they did the repair in 2-3 hours and never replaced the TX valve alongside the air compressor (which I've been told they need to). The sound never went away. 

I work from home so don't drive it often, I've done around 500km since the repair 4 weeks ago. Last week The A/C stopped blowing cold air even with the 4 cold bars in the iDrive setting. The A/C guys had another look and said it was TX valve is blocked/faulty. Also The chirping sound stopped at the same time A/C stopped blowing cold air. So I suspect the TX valve if it is the problem was the initial problem I wanted fixed.

My question is.... Does the mechanic need to remove the dashboard to get to the TX valve. I had 1 mechanic say yes and another say no, and Google i'm getting mixed results. I rang BMW service centre and they said yes but they have never done that repair before haha

Here are some pictures of my ride. 

https://goo.gl/photos/i6D8UE9HST1fVGKj9

https://goo.gl/photos/A3FstonuHoUAr41k6

Edited by rosscoe
  • Like 1