Sign in to follow this  
mortyx10

Import from UK

Hi all

Has anyone here imported their car from UK our know someone who has?

I'd like to use an agent but not sure if I can trust them because you have to pay the full value of the car when the purchase happens in the uk.

If you have, please share your experience.

Thanks

Morty

Thanks for your reply. Yes please let me know which ones are the reputable ones.

I'm after an m6. There are not many of them here in the market, and hence the prices are way more than what they worth. So I think my only option is to import.

Cheers

Have imported two cars from the UK and one from Italy in the recent past.

Try Ben Kaighin at Kaighin Motor Company - ben@kaighinmotorcompany.com.

Or

Alistair Benn - aj@motorheadhunter.co.uk.

Both of these gents very easy to deal with.

McCullough Ltd are the people I used in Auckland and they are great. Contact is Joe.

Yep got one on the water at the moment. I just dealt direct with the main dealer in the UK, to avoid the middle men, even got them to deliver it for free to felixstowe to be shipped, process is

1) Find car you like, use a main dealer like Sytner who are reputable and have processes for shipping cars overseas, make sure its VAT Qualified (means you get 20% back), not all cars are VAT Qual, generally only Ex Demos, Rentals or Pre Registered cars, I go for pre registered as they only have like 100kms on the clock and are basically new. Car dealers in the UK are not really negotiable like in NZ, you may get £500 off or something, but not huge discounts on listed prices, believe me I have tried at various dealers, and have confirmed this with people I know in the UK.

2) Pay in full, you will probably have to pay the full price, and get the VAT back from the dealer once the shipper confirms shipment, and you provide that back to the dealer, its a simple process, but you would need to just confirm your dealer is all on board first and knows what process they will follow

3) get your documents from the dealer POSTED to you and PDF emailed, and copies created to go to the shipper. You will need V5C, Registration papers, and a HPI check (dealer knows all this, as do the shippers), Dealer will also post you the spare key along with the documents.

3) Ask dealer to deliver car to shipping port, Car gets shipped, we use Autohub, found them really helpful, and have used before, the will deliver direct to the compliance place in Auckland.

4) Pay for compliance, pick up the car.

I think thats about it, went pretty smooth last time we did it a few years back, with BMW you get a 2yr worldwide warranty, and you get all the recalls updates etc for free still even from NZ