Sign in to follow this  
speedyg

E30 electric fan

Do the E30 M325i's have an electric cooling fan as well as the viscous fan?

Guest Andrew

Do the E30 M325i's have an electric cooling fan as well as the viscous fan?

only for the AC condensor - and it may or may not work.

only for the AC condensor - and it may or may not work.

Is this the black one in front of the radiator? I have disconnected and removed my heater and aircon, i guess i dont need this and could replace it with an aftermarket electric fan?? Better cooling? :rolleyes:

Guest Andrew

Is this the black one in front of the radiator? I have disconnected and removed my heater and aircon, i guess i dont need this and could replace it with an aftermarket electric fan?? Better cooling? :rolleyes:

the stock viscous van cools the water the correct amount.

Why'd you get rid of the heater?

yeah man e30s had the best heaters out of the 3 series of all time!!

3 reasons,

It blew up and i had disconnected the a/c anyway, the heater didnt 'work,' it just blew warmish air depending on the outside temp.

I needed more room behind the dash as i want to relocate the fuse box and igniter behind the firewall to reduce clutter in te engine bay.

I need room for a power inverter for a fridge or xbox :ph34r:

the stock viscous van cools the water the correct amount.

I notice on some long journeys when the engine is under hard out use my temp guage slips up a little, like when passing cars and annoying trucks the whole way up the Brenderwyns...

Thought it might me good for that kinda thing?

Edit: spelling

Edited by sakdbma

I notice on some long journeys when the engine is under hard out use my temp guage slips up a little, like when passing cars and annoying trucks the whole way up the Brenderwyns...

An additional fan won't help in that situation, at open road speeds the radiator is already being blasted by more cold air than it needs and much more than a fan can generate. Fans, be they engine driven or electric only have an effect when the car is stationary or moving at very slow speeds.

In general ALL cars will generate more heat while under load. ie, up hills. My 320i used to climb a bit on the guage. I also had a blown head gasket which doesn't help but was controlled by turning the heater to hot.

I would recommend you do a reverse flush before you go out and get a new radiator. Basicall, just take your radiator out and blast water through the bottom hose. (radiator to be upside down) this will help delodge any rust or sh*t stuck in the top of the tubes. You can also then take the hose off your header tank (catch bottle where you fill it up) and run your garden hose through this as well. I did it with the motor running (radiator still out of car) and after 5 minutes the water ran clean as it went it.