Sign in to follow this  
hushmana

Springs issue!

I had my 91 320i professionally lowered last August and I took her in to get her WOF which she passed with flying colours. Her WOF is now due again and I went for the inspection and have been told that my car is too low, therefore she FAILED. Has this happened to anyone before?

The guys who inspected my vehicle said that its possible the springs have compressed further over the last several months due to the weight of the car, causing the car to become more low. If this is the case, shouldn't companys take this into account when installing springs? Am I naive to assume that this was something they considered when installing springs, as it seems stupid to me to have springs installed for one year and then having to replace them because they have continued to compress.

So the questions I have are; has this happened to anyone before? and If it has, what did you do about it or can I do anything about it?

Cheers Guys.

Where did you go for WOF and how low is your car, if it is less than 100mm then youre screwed, but some suspension manufacturers offer warranties, if you only had it lowered last year they may fix your problem under warranty terms B)

Take your sub out etc and any other weight not needed ;) as little gas in the tank as poss. fill your tyres tyres right up. just before the retest, physically lift the car at the front. it will hold for a while lol. hopefully it passes

I got my last WOF at this place in HTown called SD European, (they are pretty good there) but this was a couple of weeks after I got her lowered so possibly the springs hadn't completely settled in. I'm gonna call the guys who installed them, they were Top Town in HTown, (they have a good reputation) and see what they can do for me. I think my springs do have a warranty but will have to check the fine print.

The measurements are; Back: 100mm, Front: Slightly lower than 100mm appro 105mm. Basically they have lowered another 5-10mm since I bought them. I didn't think that was possible but anyways.

If it all ends up turning to custard I may have to take drifties advice. (if only I could take out the seats as well lol).

If the springs are too soft ,they will settle a lot quicker, all springs will alter their set [not to be confused with rating]after a certain number of cycles. The spring rating remains the same throughout the whole life of the spring.the spring height [set] will continually alter with every cycle[like a yoyo]except it takes 1000's of cycles. Just reset the spring heights, or shim them up with those neoprene packers. Gas shocks do not hold up the vehicle [you can compress them with your hands]the nitrogen gas is there to stop the shock oil from aerating on twin tube shocks [non-bilstein style]they do not have a spring rating/or support the vehicle

Air or Gas in a telescopic shock is only there to take-up the displacement of the rod [otherwise it would hydraulic and burst on compression] lever action shocks don't need air because they transfer fluid between 2 chambers[thru valving] steering dampers are a shock,with the air in a plastic bag[so it can be used on it's side] Mono-tube "Bilstein" shocks,have a gas pressurised "floating piston" to separate the gas from the fluid. The only gas shocks that hold weight are Air Shocks [overriders] "Like They Belong On A Beemer,Along With Fuzzy Dice,Chain Steering Wheels...................& Double Overhead Cup Holders"