Sign in to follow this  
conrod

Ford GT- Ouch! v.2

I was going to bung this in the old thread, but someone locked it for some strange reason- go figure? Anyway, I was trolling through Turners damaged vehicles, and lo and behold, there it was, beckoning to me! I went to have a look at it today, and at first glance it looks pretty bad (actually at second glance it does too!) But decided I might go along next week and give it a nudge, I have about 10 days to sort the small matter of finding a big pile of dough mind you!........

(It would probably delay the E30 race car a wee bit!) :thumb:

http://www.turners.co.nz/Home/News/tabid/5...87/Default.aspx

Given how badly crashed it was, why is it still worth it for people trying to fix it?

Not too many bits were intact in that car I reckon~

Guest Andrew

hmm they obviously wrote it off - the damage must be pretty bad.

Still Ford powered e30 - badass!

Damage to the aluminium spaceframe, and obviously door/front guard/screen/dashboard. Surprisingly perhaps, suspension is undamaged,and airbags didn't go off. I reckon you could reconnect the battery and drive it! It would be quite a big job to repair, but there are certainly people in NZ with the skills to do the job. Also, I have found out it needs to be converted to RHD before it can be registered here, not ideal, but still do-able.

Also, I have found out it needs to be converted to RHD before it can be registered here, not ideal, but still do-able.

Sthe car was previously driven in NZ road in NZ reg, though it's been de-reg, surely it can re-reg without major trouble (i.e. not convert to LHD or export/re-import) wouldn't it?

Guest Spargo

Would this mean the guys insurance (?) would not have paid out?

If so, ouch :o

P H Owned if they didn't pay out.

"1 of 1 hammered GT's in New Zealand"

The other, is still alive.

Aaah yes, but it can be "hammered" back out! Funny thing is, if you connected the battery, you could drive it down the road- all of the wheels are pointing in the right direction, so it is not really "dead!" At the end of the day, it is just a car made up of bits of metal, and if you know the people with the right skills (which I do) all of the bent bits can be replaced or repaired.The big question is not IF it can be repaired, but at what cost, and what would the car be worth at the end, given that every man and his dog knows it was bent! I am quite sure I could live with a properly repaired GT, even if everyone knew it had once had a close encounter with a lampost, still way cooler than most cars I can think of!

P.S. Whats with the E500? that"s an old mans car!

Edited by conrod

I seem to remember someone doing more damage to a very new Testarossa in the past. We only sold it 3 years ago.

Once fixed properly it was still a great car (and still better than a never crashed Ford).

Go for it Conrad, get it ready for the Super GT's!!

Guest 535E28

Jeremy Clarkson did say his Ford GT handled like a typical american car ...

This one looks to have lived up to it's reputation ;)

I seem to remember someone doing more damage to a very new Testarossa in the past. We only sold it 3 years ago.

Once fixed properly it was still a great car (and still better than a never crashed Ford).

Go for it Conrad, get it ready for the Super GT's!!

I thought insurance paid out on that car? Or did Dennis buy the wreck back off them? A friend of mine bought a 512 TR a few weeks ago, real minter limited edition with a lot of extra goodies. The Ford would still kick its ass though! Thought about turning it into a racer- but probably couldn't afford to crash it again! And Jeremy Clarkson may be funny and witty, but he is no race car driver either so I wouldn't take anything he says as gospel, most test drivers rate the GT highly. Edited by conrod

Sold to the highest bidder today for.......................$131 000!

Ouch! Bit too rich for me I'm afraid!

You can buy a new one for US $160-175K, so by the time you freight it here and pay the GST you are looking at about NZ $300K. Then you have the not so small issue of having to convert it to RHD.......

Guest Andrew

You can buy a new one for US $160-175K, so by the time you freight it here and pay the GST you are looking at about NZ $300K. Then you have the not so small issue of having to convert it to RHD.......

what do you estimate the repairs on that car to cost? (If you were going to do it?)

It was about $100K for a new chassis, $8k for door, $6K front guard, $1500 screen, plus lots of other bits I didn't bother pricing. The chassis was badly damaged, but possibly could have been repaired. Not an easy job though.