Sign in to follow this  
Miller

Advice on a exhaust 4 a E36 323i

Hi, I have a 1996 323i and am wanting to put an exhaust on it. It is auto so i dont want it to be too loud but i want it too have a nice rumble to it. What would you suggest. Would just replacing the end muffler do this or would i have to go for a full system. Thanks

More input on this one would be nice, I too have a 323i.

I read in a few places that 323i is detuned on purpose to be more restrictive. (Hence the single mid-section as oppose to twin in 325i & 328i)

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but I thought I'll point that out anyway.

Don't just attach a rear muffler, it will more than likely end up sounding like any other ricey fart can.

On my 320i I have a 2.5" exhaust with one single resonator in the middle and the standard rear muffler. It has a beautiful idle and low speed sound and has quite a bark when gunning it.

It originally had a muffler in the middle but this got torn to shreds by speed bumps so I went with the big resonator which was stronger being made of thicker steel, and also had the ability of being mounted higher.

Edited by *RJ*

I have just fitted an M3 rear exhaust section to my 328,

Excuse my ignorance, by rear section, does that also means the so called "Cat-back" exhaust? Did you keep the Cat?