Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Head studs/Autronic

has anyone used headstuds on the m20? grant, what are you doing about this?

ARP? where/how much?

also does anyone have any experience with autronic ecus?

despite my protestations, already planning next project. awesome

has anyone used headstuds on the m20? grant, what are you doing about this?

ARP? where/how much?

also does anyone have any experience with autronic ecus?

despite my protestations, already planning next project. awesome

Gus, The eternal planner, or is that procrastinator???

Never heard of ARP doing them for the M20, could be wrong!?!?

Yanks always use their "Metric Blues" which from what I gather are just Hi-Tensile bolts instead of the OE Torque to Yield bolts.

Autronic is getting pretty serious Gus!! Reasonably $$$, the Swede's etc... like to use them, I think Andre at Speedtech has done a lot with them and a friend in OZ is using one on his 2JZ E30.

haha...i wouldnt procrastinate but for $$$

i find in planning you change your mind a lot...

anyway the metric blues are just a bolt...not sure why they so much better than stock? and the company doesnt sell them through the net anymore...i imagine you would need to get a shop to get them in or someone in the US...would much rather go with a stud anyway!

autronic doesnt seem too bad? SMC is around 2350 with autotune and SM2 (with traction control :D and autotune) ends up being around 2950, both plus gst...but i like it...would be a nice little project!

Hey gus I've been down this road with my car I originally bought an smc then found out what I needed

Depending on what motor you are using you need to consider the following things and more

As I found out ignition drivers don't really mean you can drive that many coils it means you need to hook it up to an ignitor and run either wasted spark or use two mitsi ones or autronic ones if you want to run sequential igniton this add substantialy to the price

Usually need to run an Autronic crank trigger.

Smc doesnt have a fan relay or a tacho out put-sucks!

The sm2 or the sm4 seems better and not that much more.I found it was like buying a turbo

"You could have this one for this much or have this ONE for just this little bit more"!!

and thats pretty much typical of all car parts!

Most autronics don't have base maps so more expensive to tune and actually get going.

Need to buy a map sensor if you are going to run "X" amount of boost.

Apparently they are an excellent ecu which can run a motor as good if not better than standard ecu.

But what was a $2500 bought ,fitted and tuned item is more looking like 5k

I originally wouldn't have gone for a link but for $1300 it has wicked features that no other ecu provides for the price and I'm happy.

Also another piece of advice that I was given was when you are trying to fit this to a motor here in NZ ,motec autronic are over in Aus and its a mission for them to feed you information where as link is a call away.

At the end of the day it all comes down to your tuner things like cold start and hot restart.

Im sure this is gonna throw a spanner in your works Just make your mind up your self and don't talk to too many people

Good luck

Edited by SRBMW

HEY MATE! Don't be afraid to abandon a project, If a better one comes along

[my 2 cents about procrastination]

I use ARP head studs in a Chevy race car. They are a very good product try Summit Racing on the Web,they are a huge Mail-order house [i've used them a lot]

The advantage of head-studs is they are re-usable,And the threads in the block only support clamping loads[most yank & pom sh*t use coarse threads because of poor quality castings]therefore saving the threads during the Torquing process.

The downside is, Trying to Remove the head in the vehicle [on a V engine,or a slant engine]The head has to be lifted higher than the studs.[on a Corvette the brake booster interferes,I assume an E36 is the same] I would recommend ARP head bolts for high perfomance street/racing [they are not Torque-to-Yeild] so they are re-usable [for a limited number of clamping cycles anyway]

autronic doesnt seem too bad? SMC is around 2350 with autotune and SM2 (with traction control :D and autotune) ends up being around 2950, both plus gst...but i like it...would be a nice little project!

Gus, if your procrastination holds you off until the end of the year you will be able to get yourself a RevSpec-7 from us for much less than the Autronic, and it has more features than ANYTHING currently on the market (our first design goal). And you wil save on getting it tuned because we have a base map calculator that actually works! and good auto-tuning with wideband 02 feedback.

Dyno testing in a dyno engine room is sooooo much fun, sit back at the computer, fiddle a few values and a bit of code and rev the nuts off the test engine.... Im so addicted I end up working till about 9 every night!

Nice. Any idea of prices damo, drive in drive out? You can obviously run a map sensor am I right? What sort of incriments in revs are you going to be able to tune?

autronic doesnt seem too bad?  SMC is around 2350 with autotune and SM2 (with traction control :D and autotune) ends up being around 2950, both plus gst...but i like it...would be a nice little project!

Gus, if your procrastination holds you off until the end of the year you will be able to get yourself a RevSpec-7 from us for much less than the Autronic, and it has more features than ANYTHING currently on the market (our first design goal). And you wil save on getting it tuned because we have a base map calculator that actually works! and good auto-tuning with wideband 02 feedback.

Dyno testing in a dyno engine room is sooooo much fun, sit back at the computer, fiddle a few values and a bit of code and rev the nuts off the test engine.... Im so addicted I end up working till about 9 every night!

it most likely will...a base map for 325i would be mint to get started with

would be more a learning experience for me than a pure performance upgrade. so intuitive tuning woudl be cool. im gonna take for granted it has a MAP sensor

you mentioned before you might try on the formula FSAE car...as far as i know they still using Autronic? Im doing their business sh*t...fun.

interested to see how your thing turns out, as long as your customer support handles lotsa questions as the project progresses sounds good.

autronic doesnt seem too bad?  SMC is around 2350 with autotune and SM2 (with traction control :D and autotune) ends up being around 2950, both plus gst...but i like it...would be a nice little project!

it most likely will...a base map for 325i would be mint to get started with

would be more a learning experience for me than a pure performance upgrade. so intuitive tuning woudl be cool. im gonna take for granted it has a MAP sensor

you mentioned before you might try on the formula FSAE car...as far as i know they still using Autronic? Im doing their business sh*t...fun.

interested to see how your thing turns out, as long as your customer support handles lotsa questions as the project progresses sounds good.

Gus,

I am down in the dyno rooms at Uni most nights working on the ECU. will not be on the car this year as they have ties with Link still and I am very hesitant to alarm poor Philip more than I already have. Engine I am testing with is the spare engine for the car.

Dont even need to ask questions ike "can I use a MAP sensor" or "How many tuning points can I have", if you have heard of it it is supported, if you need a certain number of tuning points then you just extend your map. I just cant believe how restrictive the existing systems are. In some ways I can; people are very hesitant to make something better that already works unless they REALLY have to, so most ECU's are 4 or 5 years behind in technology.

Maybe I will cross paths with you during the year!

Nice. Any idea of prices damo, drive in drive out? You can obviously run a map sensor am I right? What sort of incriments in revs are you going to be able to tune?

Prices will be above Link but wel below Motec etc with gauranteed better specs than any available unit as standard.

Will also bring out cut down AIC's etc for the easy money :)