Sign in to follow this  
Silver Fox

89 318i manual driveshaft

Hi, thanks to all who have helped with my conversion bits so far, only need the drive shaft now, can anyone help? Thanks.

Still looking for the manual drive shaft for a facelift 318i E30. can anyone do? Cheers.

Almost going, but still need my manual shaft. Been quoted about $450 to do lengthen and balance of my short shaft in East Tamaki, anyone out there sell me one cheaper, or can you point me somewhere cheaper to get it done.

tried wreckers? BMW?

the problem is that people wont want to separate out any manual conversion kits, as selling one without it leads to the same problem you have...ask the guy you got it off?

Thanks, tried a few wreckers, but no go, buggers are all holding on to their manuals for the race series, most of them are 4 doors tho, hope they get stuck with them. May try BMW, or go with the rebuild I guess, not much choice.

Guest Andrew

how different are they length wise from other BMW driveshafts? Like M20 manual ones?

Sorry, I don't have anything to compare it to, other than the shaft on it. The auto shaft is 645mm from the end of the spline to the outside face of the end plate which the rubber donut bolts to. According to my measurements I need it to be 190mm longer, ie. 835mm. Worked out by measuring the auto and manual boxes which are 190mm different. Bit mickey mouse, but should be right. If anyone has a manual shaft out of a 320 that they can measure it would be appreciated. Thanks.

David, measured a manual 320 shaft. The distance from the face of where the rubber "doughnut" to the centre of the universal joint is 605mm, pic attached. Pic is not of a manual shaft, just used it to illustrate the measurement points.

Will

Hi Will. bad news is the 318 needs to be about 660mm to those points. Good news is that I've got one which does fit, so I think that's just about everything. I'll do some words and pics in a week or so when I get some time, more important stuff at the moment, like reinstalling the heater and dash etc. Thanks.

more important stuff at the moment, like reinstalling the heater and dash etc. Thanks.

Oh man, you have got it tough, I had enough hassle taking out hte dash, I cant imagine how frustrating it would be putting one back in.

Good Luck,

Andy

Blood sweat and tears Andy, but back in, now just got to find a way to remount it as the flaps on each end had to come off to fit around the cage. Heater was a bugger tho, kept hanging up on everything. All OK now, seats are next, got them but have to alter fixing points, then get harnesses on Monday and off for warrent I guess.