Sign in to follow this  
phil millar

lower springs

Has anyone had this experience happen to them?I bought a pair of Dobi front springs from Autolign in Christchurch last week and installed them over the weekend, made sure that they were seated properly and even measured them to make sure they were the same length. However when i took the car to have the wheel alignment done the guy measured the wheel arches to the ground and found that the right side was 15 mm lower than the left side,he told me that some spring makers like King springs make a left and a right spring with the right spring slightly higher because that side is sat in more.The new springs were not labeled left or right and when i went back to Autolign to ask if they made left and right springs they said no after looking up there parts manual. Has anybody got some suggestions on this or heard of this before ?

there was a discussion about this a long time back where we determined drivers side sits lower because its got more weight on it constantly.. Springs in drivers side might be different because that side constantly supporting a driver whereas passenger is nto always there.

How they would differentiate left from right when installing them .. or 4 different part numbers ? who knows.

Edited by E30stz

What the hell happend there??

Anyway, my car is 10mm lower on the driver side than the passenger side. Ive got Jamex springs witch arnt labeld left from right. The car sat that way as soon as i put them in. I plan to change the rear springs from side to side as its piss easy, to see if that makes any diffrent. If it does then maybe ill try the front.

Strange tho..... :huh:

EDIT: Must have been my computer stuffing up. All is fne now lol.

Edited by Steve K-B

Hey Mate, Before you think there's a problem with the fronts, check the rears.[the car could be wedged] jack the car up in the centre of the rear[use a piece of tubing on its side,on the trolley jack as a pivot]then measure the height of the fronts.When one side of the rear sags,it usually lifts diagonally opposite [the fronts get blamed] Most springs are linear, which means they load the same distance with the same weight [if the fronts are the problem,either one side has more weight on it,or one spring is longer "out of the box"]

Hey Mate, Before you think there's a problem with the fronts, check the rears.[the car could be wedged] jack the car up in the centre of the rear[use a piece of tubing on its side,on the trolley jack as a pivot]then measure the height of the fronts.When one side of the rear sags,it usually lifts diagonally opposite [the fronts get blamed] Most springs are linear, which means they load the same distance with the same weight [if the fronts are the problem,either one side has more weight on it,or one spring is longer "out of the box"]

Thanks Kerry and all those who replied to my problem with spring heights being different at the front,swapped rear springs this afternoon to there opposite sides, but it did not make any difference, i will try Kerry's method of jacking the rear up evenly and see what that brings, then from there i will have to take one side out and swap it with a new spring of the same height, will keep you posted, regards Phil.