Sign in to follow this  
Jazzbass

Overdue fines

How the hell can a wet behind the ears kid rack up so many fines?

People like this show zero respect to society and should therefore be shown zero tolerance by society.

Fortunately, I'm not a judge, or he'd already be in jail and all future earnings (including the dole) be garnished until the fines are paid in full ..... :angry:

Teen 'risking jail'

05 July 2006

By MERVYN DYKES

He is only 17, but it is pointless giving Nicolas Chapman any more fines, said Judge Nevin Dawson in Palmerston North District Court yesterday.

Chapman owes $55,830 in fines already and there is no evidence that a payment plan is in place or that payments have ever been made, he said.

There is also a $765 reparation order in force.

Chapman, unemployed and living at home, pleaded guilty to two new charges - driving with a suspended licence and giving police false details.

On the driving charge, Judge Dawson imposed 60 hours of community work and disqualified Chapman from driving for six months, to take force after his present disqualification ends on September 8.

For giving false information he was convicted and discharged.

"This is your final warning," said Judge Dawson. "If you come back again, you risk going to jail."

He told Chapman to sort out a payment plan for his fines before leaving the court.

He is only 17, but it is pointless giving Nicolas Chapman any more fines, said Judge Nevin Dawson in Palmerston North District Court yesterday.

Chapman owes $55,830 in fines already and there is no evidence that a payment plan is in place or that payments have ever been made, he said.

This legend has been outdone by a kid in Invercargill [Who owes $96k according to this weeks NZ Herald]

I know somebody in Tauranga with $43k in fines [most were penalties on top of Fines]it gets beyond a joke, at 19 years of age he could never contemplate paying that amount off [so he didn't]anyway he negotiated with the judge [322 hours comunity service for $43 grand,sh*t thats $133 per hour Net]who needs a higher education or legal representation

I think that if the amount owed gets to such a rediculous amount that it becomes obvious they will never pay it back, they should be sentenced to community work, charged out at the appropriate minimum wage (youth or adult) If they are unemployed then there is no reason why they cant do it 6 days a week. They would soon think twice before letting the fines build up like that again.

They would only need to make and example of a few of them!

I think that if the amount owed gets to such a rediculous amount that it becomes obvious they will never pay it back, they should be sentenced to community work,

Nup, line em up against a wall and shoot the bastards, then they won't do it again.

Take the cars off them for a start.

First offence = a fine

Second offence = confiscation of car for 28 days

Third offence = confiscation of car for 90 days, community service, and confiscation of cellphone (fate worse than death for teenager)

Doesn't matter if its Mummys car, she will soon get the message that its not ok to give Jnr the keys when he's got no license.

I agree.

To me its like these pricks who drive around in unregistered & unwarranted cars - & never get caught/punished.

It seems the system looks after the crims at the expense of the law-abiding..... pisses me off! :angry:

My brother was sideswiped by a young man in an unwarranted car with no insurance the other day, who conveniently claimed destitution. In Britain, it is illegal to have a car on the road without insurance! Our government is a bit soft on trash delinquents with huge fines, there was a group of guys at highschool a few years ago who 'competed' with eachother to get fines. I buy a year's rego at a time, and feel guilty(and vulnerable in insurance terms) having my warrant a few days overdue! The fine system is really just fruitless after a thousand dollars or so- the offenders are 99% young and have no way of getting several thousand dollars- I'm all for public flogging to solve this problem. Being publicly flogged by some sadistic guy in black leathers wouldn't have so much kudos in the hood as a $40,000 fines bill would.

Edited by ThreeOneEight

LOL - Bring back the birch!!

Public Floggings [For Free] what a win/win situation, cheap-out by not paying your fines & get a free Dominitrix at the same time [Where is the incentive to pay your fines?]

A guy who frequents work who is about my age (18) has over $20,000 in fines, I was struck as to how it was possible to obtain such a figure in such a short space... This is how he did it:

Drove mothers Honda Accord with no license at all - Caught numerous times.

Drove mothers Honda Accord with no springs, passengers, after hours on learners - repeatably.

Drove suspended (suspended from learners!)

Got restricted

Caught in unregistered, unwarranted vehicles - and fines for breaching restricted terms about 7 times.

Lost license, drove (crusied at night..) suspended.

Green stickers, and pinks for driving the above kinds of cars - with passengers etc..

Oh, and speeding tickets in cars with no springs, while being disqualified.

So basically the guys a moron and the courts take $140 out of his wage each week so it doesn't matter what he does anymore he's never going to be able to move out of home or drive a car until those fines are paid off, and time ticks over on the disqualifications..

It's like a "Student Loan" from the School Of Hard Knocks, Some people pay the fees but learn nothing!

So basically the guys a moron

Sums it up nicely!

Public Floggings [For Free] what a win/win situation, cheap-out by not paying your fines & get a free Dominitrix at the same time [Where is the incentive to pay your fines?]

LOL - man, you're a worry!! :)