Sign in to follow this  
jrgb

E38 740i Shadowline

Gidday. Just joined your forum and have posted a couple of questions about my wife's 328ci (the enquiry about fitting euro plates), but I also have a question about my own car. A couple of years ago a purchased a 1 owner, NZ new, 1998 E38 740i Shadowline. Since owning the car I haven't seen any other Shadowlines in NZ. According to numerous websites, they were popular in the US and Europe. I was just wondering, does anyone know of any others in New Zealand?

ok i will show my ignorance

Shadowline AFAIK referss to the matt black trim around the doors and windows that are normally chrome

as in this pic of my 535

Posted Image

what does it mean here

ok i will show my ignorance

Shadowline AFAIK referss to the matt black trim around the doors and windows that are normally chrome

as in this pic of my 535

what does it mean here

The exterior 'Shadowline' trim package included matte-black around the side windows, body-side molding, front and rear bumper strips, and windshield washer jets (replacing all the chrome). It was a more expensive option on the e38 740i, and when combined with the sports package, and 18" wheels makes the car look quite different to the average 7 series. That's why I posted the question - I simply hadn't seen other Shadowline 7 series.

Your 535 looks sharp - very similar (and same colour) as my 7.

*cough*

Sorry Martyyn, being part of the older 'non-text', 'non-abbreviation' generation - and this is the very first forum I've ever used - I'm not up on the short, cryptic replys. Is *cough* a derogatory comment (are the Shadowlines not popular / unloved in NZ?), or am I reading your meaning incorrectly?

John, he was referring to his signature picture (I assume), which is a Shadowline 740i. So you can get 3 in one thread, 2 5 Series and a 7. I'm not sure about their rarity, but they definitely are my preference.

B)-->

QUOTE(John B @ Jul 30 2006, 04:44 PM) 88583[/snapback]

Sorry Martyyn, being part of the older 'non-text', 'non-abbreviation' generation - and this is the very first forum I've ever used -

Good on you mate, I really wish I was part of that generation, there is nothing like speaking face to face with someone or speaking on the phone.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John B @ Jul 30 2006, 04:44 PM) 88583[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Sorry Martyyn, being part of the older 'non-text', 'non-abbreviation' generation - and this is the very first forum I've ever used - I'm not up on the short, cryptic replys. Is *cough* a derogatory comment (are the Shadowlines not popular / unloved in NZ?), or am I reading your meaning incorrectly?

John,

No it wasnt a derogatory comment, as Cain was saying I was just pointing out that I have an e38 740i shadowline with the sports package and 18' polished rim m-pars....as in my sig :)

You are right, they are reasonably common in the UK but less so here. I havent seen very many 740's at all in Wellington and for a while mine (brought with me from the UK) was the only shadowline with 18' wheels that Id seen in Wellington.

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by martyyn

and this is the very first forum I've ever used

exactly what we want

use your chastity!

Edited by Gus

...I have an e38 740i shadowline with the sports package and 18' polished rim m-pars....as in my sig :)

You are right, they are reasonably common in the UK but less so here. I havent seen very many 740's at all in Wellington and for a while mine (brought with me from the UK) was the only shadowline with 18' wheels that Id seen in Wellington.

Cheers

Martyn

Ah I see...now I get it! So that Shodowline pic is your car...looks VERY nice. I wanted a silver, but didn't have much choice. Only had one car to choose from, so bought a dark blue metallic with the 14 spoke 18 inch wheels (not sure what the wheel is called). Is a great car, everything works perfectly (including TV & phone), and is powerful enough to tow my racecar. I love it...except the petrol bill!

John, he was referring to his signature picture (I assume), which is a Shadowline 740i. So you can get 3 in one thread, 2 5 Series and a 7. I'm not sure about their rarity, but they definitely are my preference.

Thanks for clarifying Cain. Maybe you can clarify something else for me. I've noticed people referring to 'thread' alot, as in, "...sticky this thread..." and "...many go to guys in this thread...". Excuse my ignorance, but what the hell is a thread? This forum laungage is all new to me - it makes me feel very old!

John

A thread is simply the list of posts leading on from the first post. In this case, you posted and as soon as someone replied - a thread was born. :)