Sign in to follow this  
ajsmith

Urgent Help please!!!!

Yes, deff a lesson to be learnt here.

Somewhat annoying when the previous owner (a sweet old lady) told me the cambelt had been done 15k ago. The blame fulls on me though, I should have double checked and not taken here word for it.

Just realised something, the new engine (that I checked out yesterday and looks sweet!) is from a '93 318i, if I can supply a engine number or something can anyone tell me if it has a belt or a chain?

Thanks all, enjoy your day, its hump day after all!!!

some of the early e36's had the M42 engines..not just the e30iS or e36 coupes..;)

E36 318i = M40 (early)or M43 (later)

E36 318iS = M42 (early) or M44 (later)

I have a 318i engine you oculd buy for much much less than $1250 .. no warranty but previous owner told me it had been reconditioned not so long ago. Your welcome to bring a mechanic over to have a look over it. The car it is in is gutted, so the motor cannot be turned over.

Cheers

Andy

Ive already sorted and paid for the engine, thanks any way though dude. Towies on his way now to take to team european. Mate thats doing it works there so should be easier with the hoist and engine bench ... hopfully she'll be back on the road tomorrow.

cheery

SORTED! New engine was dropped in saturday morning. Took 5 hours between 2 mechs and all done! They have done a very tidy job and im stoaked with the outcome to say the least.

Cars off to page european in Wellington later in the week to have water pump and cambelt replaced.

Total bill thus far has come to $2350. I decided to get water pump, thermostat, plugs, leads etc replaced also. Cars getting a tune up next week after everything is completed and settled down.

Thanks again for everyones help on this one. All your help and wisdom is greatly appreciated!!!

bub bye for now.