Sign in to follow this  
ED1RTY

drums to discs in e30

Bought a 325i parts car, and am wanting to do the disc brake upgrade. (will be putting the 2.5 engine in, in time to come) BUT my car does not have abs and the 325i parts car does. Do i need to convert the ABS setup into my car or can i just disconnect it and not use it? just hook up the normal brake lines? im doing the whole ireland engineering adjustable camber/toe kit and will have the subframe out for a little while and ive just purchased a bently manual, will that have all the info i need? Any help would be great, also for the time being could someone tell me which bolts to undo to get the rear subframe out?

So far ive found:

Diff mount,

One bolt at the end of each sill

Shock mounts

Are there any more or will the rear end just 'drop out' one i have disconnected these and the driveshaft etc?

Cheers

Chris

p.s how the f**k do you get the e-brake system unhooked?

Admin: changed from 'discs to drums' to 'drums to discs' haha - dammit im an idiot!!!

Edited by sakdbma

There is no need to convert to ABS. There is way to much to do to do it ie, lines, hubs, wiring and ABS computer. The only thing you will need to do is put the Brake Pressure Regulator in (picture of part attached). This is found mounted to the brake booster on Standard Disc Brake E30's. This needs to be done or you will swap ends when hitting the brakes in the wet. I found out the hard way.

To remove your rear end you need to undo the diff to chassis mount, Drive Shaft bolts, Shocks, Take the exhaust off to make it easier, The nut either side at the back of the sill (main subframe bolt) and the 2 allen key bolts on the out side of the sill (this lets you take the plate off and drop the subframe out) Undo your brake lines, disconnect the E Brake (do this at the handbrake lever end. Just undo the 2 10mm nuts and pull the cables out through the back. Then poke the new ones that should be still attached to your disc rearend up the tubes and pull them through to the handle. Nice and easy)

Hope this is of some help.

Happy conversion.

post-451-1155697558_thumb.jpg

Edited by smokenbaby

I need some a ABS 325i rear end!.. Wonder if it's worthwhile sending... Keen for a swap with a non-abs 325i rear end?

no probs running with an ABS rear on non ABS...could just change the whole master cylinder and booster setup from the 325i parts car

to get the rear out its easy, something along lines of:

brake hoses

shock bolt to trailing arm

sway bar bolts to trailing arm

allen key bolts to plates under big nuts on either side of subframe

wedge and jack and should come off easy

I need some a ABS 325i rear end!.. Wonder if it's worthwhile sending... Keen for a swap with a non-abs 325i rear end?

Where do you live? Could be keen...

There is no need to change the master cylinder and booster. The cylinders are the same regardless of ABS or non ABS. There are a couple of different part numbers listed but there is no difference between them.

I have been down this road and the only thing you need to do is put the pressure regulater in to stop the back end from coming out under hard braking.

Chch, Not sure how much it would be to send.

Nah i think ill flag it, ill do a little bit more reasearch and possiby just run the ABS end or can source a NON ABS a bit closer

Thanks anyway Surge.

Cheers

Chris

What further research do you need to do. Iyou have the information in these posts. Listen to people who have done the research and swap already.

Sweetas ive taken your info into account but it still doesnt seem right to me that something that was designed for ABS and is not using it will still function properly.

the only difference is the toothed rings on the wheel hubs (which can be removed) and mounting for the ABS sensor...thats it.

why do you have to take the whole subframe out couldnt you just take the two lower trailing arms? i am doing same thing and just taking the ABS sensor out and it wil be fine. (as i have been told) which im sure is correct.

you can, but its easier to take the whole thing out

Damnit... Everyone with spare ABS rear arms! I can't find a single one down here at the wreckers..