Sign in to follow this  
SpidersWeb

Manual Conversion

I'm sure we're getting bored of my transmission topics, but I've got another question.

I'm getting a 540i soon, however I still need to fix the 535i which is just sitting in my driveway looking pretty (auto dead and leaks fluid like a seive, am told its the front clutch pack which coincides with the 151,000 miles).

I've never been fond of having money spent on auto transmission rebuids, and think I've found a way to convert it to manual for similar money. Previously I have had one of my cars converted to manual by my mechanic for $600 + clutch etc, but the only complications were widening the transmission tunnel and the hole for the clutch master.

So if I had a manual E34 525 with a SOHC M20i parts car, and an automatic E34 535i with SOHC M30, how much trouble would I be looking at paying for to get the 5spd gearbox in the 535? I've been told the M20 and M30 bolt patterns are different, so I know that much, but are there any other complications that make this idea stupid, or is it a viable one?

Edited by SpidersWeb

I'm sure we're getting bored of my transmission topics, but I've got another question.

I'm getting a 540i soon, however I still need to fix the 535i which is just sitting in my driveway looking pretty (auto dead and leaks fluid like a seive, am told its the front clutch pack which coincides with the 151,000 miles).

I've never been fond of having money spent on auto transmission rebuids, and think I've found a way to convert it to manual for similar money. Previously I have had one of my cars converted to manual by my mechanic for $600 + clutch etc, but the only complications were widening the transmission tunnel and the hole for the clutch master.

So if I had a manual E34 525 with a SOHC M20i, and an automatic E34 535i with SOHC M30, how much trouble would I be looking at paying for? I've been told the M20 and M30 bolt patterns are different, so I know that much, but are there any other complications that make this idea stupid, or is it a viable one?

gearboxes wont interchange. you'll need a different driveshaft, and fly wheel. cltuch and clutch controls (maste cyl, slave cyl, piping, pedal etc)

good luck finding any of them secondhand :P fairly thin on the ground at wreckers, even e28 m30 manual stuff is reasonably hard to find.

gearboxes wont interchange. you'll need a different driveshaft, and fly wheel. cltuch and clutch controls (maste cyl, slave cyl, piping, pedal etc)

good luck finding any of them secondhand :P fairly thin on the ground at wreckers, even e28 m30 manual stuff is reasonably hard to find.

Yeah was looking at just buying a manual 525 parts car, so I'd have all those bits. I was hoping the only real problem would be interfacing the engine and gearbox?

And yeah I haven't seen anything for the M30 over the last month :( Hence this idea.

just chuck another secondhand autotragic box in there?

Yeah thats one of two options. This box wasnt 'abused' though (its not like I was doing skids or anything), and fitting a replacement 2nd hand box that hasn't already been rebuilt, is just procrastinating a rebuild. So if I was going to sell the car, I'd probably take this option, sell the car for 3K and be done with it. Also everyone I've talked to with a 4HP22 M30 box currently available seems to think its worth $500-800, and I'm not paying that for a quick fix.

Other option is convert to manujal and keep it. There is the third option of doing an auto rebuild and keeping it but I'd just sell it, so might as well choose option 1 in that case. If its manual, it makes a nice hack car, and the mrs hates automatics (and I cant afford a 540 manual), so it'd work out well, plus one day down the line I could hang a turbo off it or something. I paid 3K for it and it died a few weeks later, so would like to make some use of it.

Budget would be parts + $1000, and I'd just be dropping off both cars at the mechanic saying 'enjoy' and getting the hell out of there. I figure a 5spd 535 would sell for 5k anyway, so 3K + 2K, nothing lost if I did decide to sell.

If anybody has any information to share, please do, I'd like to know what I'd be getting myself/mechanic in to, and before I convince the mrs to let me buy another broken BMW I'd like to know if its worth while or if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Patch your '35 and sell it. Theres a factory 535 E34 manual 'floating around the Mount' that can be owned for $4500

deduct the cost off a conversion off that, and see what your car is worth