Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Changing steering "amount"

Hey I was at work today and a guy at work said that E39's (?) steering racks can be changed to go from full lock to full lock in about 2 and a half turns?

Is this do-able or would you be spending a heap of money doing it?

Also is it possible on a E30 p/s rack?

Cheers

It is possible, but not sure of the cost of altering steering gearing or getting a different geared steering rack. Standard, an E30 323i has 4.0 turns lock to lock, and is generally regarded as pretty good for everyday driving. Certainly, 2.5 would become a bit touchy, and without power steering, bloody heavy, wouldn't fancy trying to parallel park.

By the way, I have a copy of MOTOR magazine (UK) road test for the BMW 323i, 1983. Can scan and email it to you if you are interested. You'll be pleased to hear that in 'handling' your car scored a full 5 stars!

By the way, I have a copy of MOTOR magazine (UK) road test for the BMW 323i, 1983. Can scan and email it to you if you are interested. You'll be pleased to hear that in 'handling' your car scored a full 5 stars!

Yeh dude that'd be sweet.I like how it handles and everything just thought if it was easyish and not overly pricy I'd do it just for the sake.Handles good around the islands around my house (elice rd ones :P).

Cheers Gus,I thought the easiet way going about it would be to get a different model one,maybe after suspension.Would be good fun though I say..I never parallel park anyway lol.

Thanks for the help

Ashkan

BE CAREFUL swapping Racks fom another vehicle.

The measurement between the inner rack [ball joints] has to be identical,and the vertical position has to be the same or you end up with BUMP STEER PROBLEMS [toe-in/out changes thru suspension movement]

You can buy a steering quickener for the column [planetary gearbox] either 1.5:1 or 2:1 these are available at Cardwell Racing Supplies in Albany 0800 227393

Shot Kerry,probably stay away from race gear for now as I still don't even have a proper functioning car lol

Cheers for the help