Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Would this work?

Hey I was bored and thinking of some RangiMods I could do for free.

It came to me when I was painting my needles(which I screwed up).If I took the papery black speedo,tacho,water temp,and fuel gauge thing off with the readings and numbers and i scanned them,did some contrast work on photoshop and printed them out on glossy paper,would it work?

Or is it a special material that the stuff is made out of?

Any help would be appreciated

Ashkan

yeah it works i know of afew people that have done this in there mazdas just might want to have a back up set incase up mess it up lol. just print out the new dails and carefully glue them to ur factory ones.

or take your factory ones to a sticker/sign shop and they can do them.

Ohh are they stickers?cos if I remember correctly(probably not) but if i do i think my paper bits came out when I took the needles off?I'll have a look tomorow.But I'm probably wrong lol

Cheers

i got a 100 dollar white gauge which turns to multi colour when its lit its all smoove :)

Posted Image

Edited by Docile

Docile,

I've been contemplating getting the same setup for a while now.

Did you install them yourself and if so, how hard is it? any major things to look out for?

cheers dude

I got mine from auto passion, all numbers light up blue on mine real simple looking ill take a pic later on, pretty easy to install the hard bit was taking the needles off for mine, TAKE TIME!! took me 3 hours all up and it works fine, not worth rushinh!

yup i did install it

ok things you will need to isntall this:

well i used them

nail polish

electrical tape

soldering gun

wire cutter

screwdrivers

a sharp small knife or scapple which i used as the hole for the needles needs to be widened a bit as the gauge face aint bolted down so they move a bit and makes the needle not move.

its pretty alright.. took me about 3 - 4 hours.. i took my time though one wrong move and you will probably need to buy a whole new cluster.. the needles at first are hard to take off. needs to be gently but firmly pushed out with screwdrivers : screw driver heads from: _ _ to / \ and they should pop out..

ive got the instructions on word so if ya want i can send it to ya.. its not for this particular gauge per say. its for the other one so you kinda get lost in following it. thats where common sense comes in.

OH THIS FACE PLATE ONLY WORKS WITH E36 SPEEDOS WITH 260 KM/H !! cant work on 1.6, 1.8 as they only got 240 i think

Edited by Docile

Lol well I took my needles off with a fork and now they don't work properly.

DON'T RUSH IT like I did lol.

Red needles look hella good though,apart from the fact that only the speedo works haha

Going to try scan them and edit them on thursday night,hopefully work out.will put pics up whenever it's done.

Chur

HAHAHA thats the funniest thing ive read all day. A fork.

I used my hands with care. at least your speedo still goes.

Monster tach?

jus kidding you can get clusters cheap anyway

Edited by nz320i

Moster Tach...PSSSSHHHH I think not!

Will only need a temp gauge I think.The tach still works except I think I may have pushed it in too far and it gets stuck.Feels cool looking at a tach thats frozen on 6000rpm!! It's what we whorry's call RECALL.

Gonna suck if it overheats lol

Yeh,saw them aye.Just need to wait for my brother to install the scanner's driver or something like that and I'm gonna give it a try lol.

the main problem you'll run into is that the speedos on ebay will be in mph whereas, NZ speedo's are generally in km/h

Check these out, in kms

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tachofolie-BMW-316-3...bayphotohosting

Quite often you're right Andy, so I use http://www.ebay.co.uk/ to start, better post rates normally, and good selection as well.

Edited by Silver Fox

cheers :) i had a look but didnt see it.

I personally think they're a bit out of place, just with a black dash and black components right the way through.. but nice aftermarket look.

How do postage costs vary for different things you guys have bought from over there. They have a wicked selection of items in teh UK.

Edited by E30stz

Yeah, they depend a lot on weight, I've just bought my boss kit from there, post $22 NZ. Total cost $75 NZ. Cheers.

Lol my speedo is in MPH and so is the Odomoeter.

I know I can always just buy them but I still want to try it and see if it works lol.

Those fire ones are funny lol more rice than chinatown haha.Dry!