Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Short Shift Update

following on from my article on the front page.

i have now changed my short shift, to the bavarian motors one. reasons for this:

1) keeps shifter in stock place, the z3m i had moved the whole shift pattern..making 2nd hard to get into

2) slightly longer throw to reduce notchiness

it is as i imagine the z3 1.9 would be

installation was very easy, along the lines of the original guide. the shift lever doesnt really need to be removed, although it may make fitting it easier

the linkage itself is a chunk of machined aluminium, quality is very high. it needs to be 'modified' in true gus style to fit...a bit of hacksawing of your brand new linkage and knifing of the plastic bush included and your away. if someone can take pics of it i can show where to cut...i didn't have the digi cam when i was doing mine.

very happy with it, will be using the z3m for an upcoming project. shift is back to the stock position (took a bit of getting used to) and feels a bit nicer for street driving. well recommended!

Gus me ol china, how much was the bavarian motors one?

If I was to purchase one would you be willing to do the mod and then send down to me?

months ago i made my own short shifter out of a stock one for a cost of box of beers...

but the rod mount below flurcum. inserter about 15mm (if memory serves me right) or random rod beterrn flurcum and rod mount. essnetially moved rod mount 15mm further to flurcum. welded it up. reassembled.

very nice...

the 15mm distance is crucial. 2mm less will give you smother changes and 2mm more will be too aggressive/hard/nothy. I'm not sure about 15mm... i dont remember now...

months ago i made my own short shifter out of a stock one for a cost of box of beers...

but the rod mount below flurcum. inserter about 15mm (if memory serves me right) or random rod beterrn flurcum and rod mount. essnetially moved rod mount 15mm further to flurcum. welded it up. reassembled.

very nice...

the 15mm distance is crucial. 2mm less will give you smother changes and 2mm more will be too aggressive/hard/nothy. I'm not sure about 15mm... i dont remember now...

Mops, i made one for my old Nissan Sentra. 10mm was the figure I used and it was brilliant. I am now a little lazy and if Gus is willing to do it for me then I'll be happy.

15mm looks like it will be the biscuits, should be a nice shift.

around $70? or $80? will check if you want...could post it down no worries

around $70? or $80? will check if you want...could post it down no worries

Cheers Gus, toying with idea of selling me car but I'll be in contact next week.