Sign in to follow this  
p1_m3

BMW Extended Warranties - worth it?

I understand that you can purchase a 3 year warranty for around $1250, which covers bills up to $4000?

Has anyone bought one of these and regretted it, or has it been a godsend?

Would love to hear about anyones experiences, as I am considering it.

cheers :D

p.s. tried to search for this topic and couldnt find one

Edited by p1_m3

I understand that you can purchase a 3 year warranty for around $1250, which covers bills up to $4000?

Has anyone bought one of these and regretted it, or has it been a godsend?

Would love to hear about anyones experiences, as I am considering it.

cheers :D

p.s. tried to search for this topic and couldnt find one

I got a warrenty with my M3 when i bought it which included 2 years free servicing. It finishes end of this month and as i said before i will buy a new warranty which i believe is basically an extension of the one it had. So thats a free service per year and piece of mind in the event that the car shits itself. Seems like reasonable value to me.

If i look back over the two years the car has had 2 services, the electric hood lining repaired, headlight replaced, free WOF's and a break light fault sorted and its only covered 6000klms. That must be getting close to $1250 at Jerry Clayton prices.

The warrenty your looking at with the $4k cap, is that $4k per issue or $4k all up over the next 3 years? I would have thought thats per issue.

People only consider a warranty a waste of money if their car doesn't break-down [How Ironic, it's risk management]

If you drive crap like I do [and fix it yourself] the warranty would almost doudle the value of my driver .Do you consider insurance premiums a waste of money because you haven't had an accident?

My warranty was a godsend, i had the car 3 days and then I had trouble shfting into 1st and reverse. The dealer told me to take the car to Shellys for an assessment. Turns out the car needed new clutch, and dual flywheel. 3 weeks later i got the car back, ( parts came from germany ) total bill $5000. Protecta paid the lot. My warranty covers $5000 per claim.

Mind due had they not the dealer would have been coughing up as i had them do a pre inspection on it prior to them selling it to me!

Get a warranty if you can, however i note with mine it covered cars not older than 10 years and no more than 125 000kms.

My warranty was a godsend, i had the car 3 days and then I had trouble shfting into 1st and reverse. The dealer told me to take the car to Shellys for an assessment. Turns out the car needed new clutch, and dual flywheel. 3 weeks later i got the car back, ( parts came from germany ) total bill $5000. Protecta paid the lot. My warranty covers $5000 per claim.

Mind due had they not the dealer would have been coughing up as i had them do a pre inspection on it prior to them selling it to me!

Get a warranty if you can, however i note with mine it covered cars not older than 10 years and no more than 125 000kms.

Thanks Liam02 for this and all your other help - appreciate it.

Will contact a few dealers to see how much, unless my potential car is too old or travelled too far. Will no doubt find out.

btw drove a 95 Black e36 M3 today (at Pinnacle Motors) Albany. Is out of my price range but wanted to feel how well it went. Singapore import with 65000kms, nice 5zigen exhaust and eibach top strut brace. Very nice. :D

Guest Andrew

Thanks Liam02 for this and all your other help - appreciate it.

Will contact a few dealers to see how much, unless my potential car is too old or travelled too far. Will no doubt find out.

btw drove a 95 Black e36 M3 today (at Pinnacle Motors) Albany. Is out of my price range but wanted to feel how well it went. Singapore import with 65000kms, nice 5zigen exhaust and eibach top strut brace. Very nice. :D

Is that black m3 an on behalf sale? I have eyed it up a few times as I drive by. Tempting.

Is that black m3 an on behalf sale? I have eyed it up a few times as I drive by. Tempting.

Dont think so, at least they didnt mention it. They have lots of euro cars, plus he told me the previous owner bught an evo9.

Has a few cosmetic things that need fixing, other than that it felt really good. Paintwork has some polish or cleaning marks on it, should come out with a proper polish I guess.

>> 95 Black e36 M3 ... Singapore import with 65000kms

Be prepared for all the rubbers, plastics and glues to fall apart on you.

Singapore = >40 degree heat & close to 100% humidity for >10 years = lots of deterioration in rubber, plastic, cloth, and glue

I've heard stories of headlinings falling down, rubber seals giving up the ghost, plastics bits breaking, etc etc etc

Thanks - yes apparently the rubber seals had already been done :)

Anyways - have got myself a motor now - see general discussion.

cheers