Sign in to follow this  
Gus

E38 Calipers on e30

has anyone done this?

after doing the brakes on my mums 7 i observed they are very similar to andy's wilwoods.

alloy body, 4 piston. good in other words

now say i could get hold of a set...making adaptors to fit them to an e3o would be similar to the wilwood ones?

Why don't you just change the struts over to 5 series ones?

A very fast 2002 has this as it's front end, I believe.

I thought about using E32? ones but pretty heavy and poor pad selection. Instead I have some E28 535 calipers at home which I plane to mate with A3 discs. Should so do the job nicely. Just so you know a disc height of somewhere between 35-40mm would be ideal.

Edited by petone

Guest Spargo

The 8 series brembos bolt right up to E30 M3 hubs, but its difficult to find a disc that will fit.

Reason I mention this, is that E28 hubs = E30 M3 hubs, so why not try something along those lines?

The 8 series brembos bolt right up to E30 M3 hubs, but its difficult to find a disc that will fit.

Reason I mention this, is that E28 hubs = E30 M3 hubs, so why not try something along those lines?

Are the bearings the same as standard E30 ones. If so this will make it somewhat easier to do a 5 lug front conversion. No mods need in respect to changing struts and so on.

no, the spindles are bigger on E28 and M3

Gus, another problem is finding wheels with spokes that will clear the calipers, reason why people use single or double pot calipers when upgrading brakes

Edited by petone

e28 struts dont work...the bolt pattern at the bottom is different. even if you did use them you would have to buy the e30 m3 part to connect the strut to the control arm and tie rod end. sounds easy but they retail at ~$500 each. have had much conversation with glenn about this!

15" Weaves fit fine over andys wilwoods. could always use a wilwood disc but one of the attraction of the e38 caliper is that it will have dust seals unlike the wilwoods.

they are really light...lighter than stock e30 stuff. not heavy like e28 etc stuff