Sign in to follow this  
savvi

msd and m20 2.5

has any one had experiance with msd ignition systems on m20 2.5

any help would b great

has any one had experiance with msd ignition systems on m20 2.5

any help would b great

Hi

Im new to bimmer sport and saw this so had to jump on in.

I have spent far to many hours with my head in a MSD cataloge. And as my mind is alyays trying to convert stuff for V8 to 4cyl jap stuff. I came up with the following idea. and cant see why it wont work for the m20. I sold it to a couple of guys (AND GOT IN TROUBLE FOR IT.) and had good feed back. It takes a little machine work, but very little and a little DIY mentalaty..

I was looking at a "magic eye" type conversion one day and was not to impressed as to how it fitted and the fact that it relyed on a plactic wheel that was not located very well at all. The next day a custy oredred a couple of parts off me and while looking them up i found some bits, and formulated a plan.

The Plan

You will need the following parts. all from MSD

Magnetic pick up, msd84661

Reluctor msd ???? ring Jamie at pioneer auckland he knows it as it is not in the catalog

A MSD ignition unit such as a 6AL

A length of MSD lead, Boots, Terminals.

And a MSD blaster coil msd8202

remove the guts out of a factory dist.

A plate needs to be made up, or modify the factory one, this plate is for mounting the magnetic pick up on. Slot the holes on this for fine adjustments to get the gap correct at assembely

Remove the shaft out of the dizzy.

At this point a some modification is needed..

Done carefully the reluctor will retain its balance.

The reluctor will been to be fitted to the shaft. Turning down the shaft or making a collor, os the reluctor is SQ and firm.

at this point a small issue arises. Avance. Depending on the distributor and the factory ignition system Some may be able to retain the mechanical advance, some may not. If not MSD have many electronic advance units designed for NOS and Turbo so somthing would work for your needs.

Now rebuild the distributor using, the modifid shaft, and plate with the msd Magnetic pick up fitted. a new cap and rotor. install in the engine.

Run the wiring to the 6AL, Fit the MSD blaster 2 coil, Make up some new leads out of the boots termanls, and lead( Very easy, using a knife, vice, lead crimper, silicon spray and some time.)

WAck it all on, a little fine tuning will be needed.

But what you will get Is a moden msd ignition system, soft touch Rev limit, And a cleaner running, more powerfull engine.

Notes

The 6Al will burn out your factory coil, They cant handle the Grunt.

Your factory leads will burn out your 6AL. MSD leads are best in any applacation any way.

If you are already running after market engine management you may think you are sweet (esp. you turbo guys). I would still at least run a 6Al (or simmilar). The EM will do all the good stuff, Advance, retard, etc. But you will find it will not boost your spark out put, You will proberbly have find your spark is still running at factory strength, and once the revs get up and the boost comes on, What spark you have will be having trouble keeping up.

If that all sounds like to much work, buying a 6al a set of msd leads and a blaster coil will give you good results. it will run off the factory dizzy(some need a siginal converter but very rarely)

Let me know what you think. I am planing on doing this my self once i get some cash and finish my body.

Unless your Beemer is running points [which I doubt] don't waste your money

heres the difference

An inductive system [most car ignitions] is timed on dwell [usually about 8 degress of crankshaft duration for full flame propagation]

A CDI is usually timed by so many milliseconds [that why F1 engines use them ,as they're better for high RPM]

A MSD is a CDI unit that is triggered [or switched] by an inductive system [it just multi sparks within the dwell time]

after about 2500rpm there is not enough time to multi-spark within the set dwell [most MSD's single spark after 2500rpm]

I used to run an MSD in my Racecar, Now I run a [GM] HEI with a MSD "CDI module" [& a 53000 volt coil]

the first thing I'd do [in your case] is run a good coil [then look at a CDI unit]

My E36 cruises at 2500rpm at the speed limit [at this rpm you get a better "coil saturation" from an inductive system]

[bMW have always had access to this technology,they chose their system correctly, Try not to Re-invent the wheel]