Sign in to follow this  
kerrynzl

BMW FACTORY CD STACKER

I've got a South African BMW Stereo Head unit, Cable & CD Stacker that I swiped out of a E36 that I parted out.

I'm in the process of fitting it to my E36 coupe [Don't laugh, cause my idea of a sound system is cutting the mufflers off]

Anyway plugging in the head unit is straight forward [gets all NZ channels],so is plugging in the cable to the stacker & mounting it.

[Now my question] There are 2 wires from the stacker Red/white-stripe & a brown wire [brown is Earth] so I assume the other is power

Do I connect the power to a switchable source [eg; fuse-box after the key] or does this power source come from the head unit?

How does the stacker switch on/off? Does it get a signal from the head unit down the cable or does it get it's power source from the head unit?

Or should I thow the whole thing away [& start singing "Nana Mouskouri" songs in my madness]

Hey Thanks for that!

Now I'm getting conflicting stories

1: The Red/White goes to switchable power [eg: off the key thru the fusebox]

2: The Red/White goes to constant power [eg: to battery via fusebox] reason being the stacker require some sort of memory

Could you check this out for Me? [Hey, I owe you a Drink Someday]

The best sound system I had a a twin cam alfa with 11mm of lift and 308 degrees of duration on 12 to one compression, full racing headers and 65mm straight exhaust. Mother in law was not keen on it.

Yeah ,You are a true admirer of classical music!

My current sound system is a little more 'Heavy Metal'

Big Block Chevy taken out to 482" [8 litre] Dry sump, Roller Cam,1000CFM Holley,ZL1 heads,5" Sidemount Headers Etc

Has Lovely "Snickety Snick" sound from the cams when she idles,[Makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up,under full throttle]

All the BMW CD changers are connected to permanent power