Sign in to follow this  
philwalter

E36 SMG gearbox...anygood ?

Can people give me their opinions on the SMG gearboxes on the E36 M3 EVO's, as opposed to the six speed manual. I'm guessing you are going to say, the manual is the better option, but would just like to hear pros and cons from people who may have had experience with them...thanks.

The first generation of SMG was backward in operation. It was like a Falcon auto. You pushed forward to change up and pulled backward to change down.

Non-intuitive and they fixed it with SMG II

If you have the option get the manual. I have had an SMG EVO for 2 years and although i like it i would rather have a manual. I only use the car on weekends etc so i dont mind living with the gearbox but the change delays are long and every change is different and not as controlled as a straight manual box.

I work at a car dealership, and the general concensus is that they are dogs, absolute rubbish gearboxes.Everyone loves the "purity" of a straight off 6 speed manual.

However, bearing in mind this is coming from people who are probably not used to SMG gearboxes, they probably have a "Peice of sh*t that I can't work" attitude to it.Who would know.Opinions eh?

If you would like, I could talk to an Engineer tommorow and ask the pros and cons?The actual technical aspect of the gearbox, reliability,comfort,etc?

I work at a car dealership, and the general concensus is that they are dogs, absolute rubbish gearboxes.Everyone loves the "purity" of a straight off 6 speed manual.

Please elborate as to whether 'absolute rubbish'. Breaks every 5 mins ? just that its SMG and not manual ?

Hard to take someones opinion like that without reasoning behind it.

Edited by E30stz

Please elborate as to whether 'absolute rubbish'. Breaks every 5 mins ? just that its SMG and not manual ?

Hard to take someones opinion like that without reasoning behind it.

Breaking down

Sloppy

Confusing.

Not as slick as the 6 speed manual.Or as reliable.

Thanks for that, I think this would be a '99 NZ New Evo ....would that be SMGII ?

Thanks for that, I think this would be a '99 NZ New Evo ....would that be SMGII ?

1999 E36? Would that be manafactured '98 first registered 1999?

If you are keen you should probably talk to an independant BMW technician. SMGI wasn't overly great was it guys.

Remember time has shown that the 6spds in the Evos have had their problems too, but probably easier on the wallet if it packed up in comparison to the SMG.

THanks for all the help people.

I read yesterday that the SMG equipped E36M3 was about 5-6 seconds quicker round the Nurburgring than the 6 spd manual :blink:

Guest Andrew

THanks for all the help people.

I read yesterday that the SMG equipped E36M3 was about 5-6 seconds quicker round the Nurburgring than the 6 spd manual :blink:

I find that hard to believe.

They are fun to drive but the downshift is a wee bit painful.