Sign in to follow this  
blk320i

e30 starting help

so i brought a e30 coupe today and am having starting issues. i put the key in and turn it and everything lights up etc but the engine doesnt crank or do anything. i thought the battery may be stuffed so i swapped it and it does the same thing. the only way to it starts is with jumper leads hooked up to another car. whats wrong? i need to fix this asap.

also, the 'coolant' and 'overheat ' lights are always on, i have topped up the radiator but they both stay on. am i missing something?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

hope you didnt pay to much for it!, sounds a bit dodge, you should of had it checked out, id probably say its your starter motor for the starting problems, possibly imobiliser if you have one, most likely starter motor, and a wiring issue for the lights staying on, once again a big maybe as i cant see your car, pays to get it checkd out before you buy

I guess that it may be both batteries you tried were dodgy, if it starts with jumper leads the starter must be OK it's just the amount of charge it's getting, try a decent battery. Is the motor overheating, ie boiling when it gets hot? Is it using water? Are the sensors all connected up? What kind of coupe, 318, 320 or 325, auto or manual?

the starting thing is weird because when i jump it it starts fine. then if i stop and turn the car off and try and turn it on straight away it will start, but if i leave it for a while it doesnt start. would the starter motor be causing this? i really need to fix this, any advice on fixing it would be great.

i presume the lights, sensors are stuffed as i took it for a decent drive today and the temp gauge stayed pretty steady.

oh yeah it a 90 320 coupe.

thanks

nick

Edited by blk320i

I still think your battery's not holding a charge from what you describe as happening.Maybe your generator needs checking as well?

The "overheat" light is nothing to do with the engine temp, it is to warn that the catylitic converter is overheating. If the sensor is faulty or a wire in the circuit is broken it will give a false warning.

What history does the 2nd battery have?

I'd agree with what was said above;

Battery isn't holding its charge.

This can be due to the battery, or the alternator not charging the battery as the car is running.

As for the overheat bulb, if the temp. gauge and everything else is fine, just remove the bulb as fixing the wiring/sensor is not worth it.

the second battery i put in is out of my civic which i use everyday and have had no trouble with what so ever. so a possible solution would be to replace the altenator?

Well, an alternator charges the battery whilst the engine is running. And from what you've said, the battery isn't being charged back up... so I'd guess thats the issue...

yeah, it sounds logical. i may buy another one this weekend swap them over and see what happens. thanks.

Cool. In the meantime though, don't jump it as it can take awhile -- but if you still need to use the car get a battery charger and charge it up. Don't use your audio etc and just try to keep the voltages up. This is a good temp. measure untily ou get a replacement. But as you said, you've got a honduh so shouldn't be an issue.

Hit us up if its not the alt.

Does the charge (battery light) come on with the key & go out when started?, if so then PROBABLY the alternator is working.

Check battery connections between the inside of the terminal & the post of the battery, also check for ANY spark when connecting the battery - will indicate a current draw.

Next option - see an auto sparky - only a 5 min job to diagnose.

Cheers

im not in auckland at the moment so i cant check the battery light etc. possibly its a weak connection somewhere? i think i will have to get an auto sparky to have a look and then go from there, hopefully its nothing major.

ok, so i got a moble mechanic / auto sparky out this morning and he came to the conclusion that the altenator is knackered. so now i need to track down an altenator. if anyone has one that wouuld be great. its a 90 320i coupe.

thanks

Mmm, thought so.

Several here on TM -- Gonna install yourself? Seems that people are liking some 'How To's' write-ups, give it a go!

i have just purchased another alternator and am going to try and pull out the old and put in the new one myself. will let you guys know how i go.

Edited by blk320i

all fixed. replaced the alternator today and put in a fresh battery and she fired straight up. i took it for a run and everything seems fine. im going out of town for a week and will try it again when i get back, hopefully it will fire straight up.

yeah im stoked, it wasnt as hard as i first thought. took off the air box, undid the alternator and replaced everything. easy. thanks for everyones help.

nick