Sign in to follow this  
MADBMA

Heater troubles

ok well last night i was driving home from work, and noticed all the lights were out on my heater controls, i turned it on and left it going for a while and got nothing but cold air from all the vents, the car was very well warmed up so this wasnt the problem, i had a look at the fuses today and there fine, anyone know where i should next be looking? at the moment im trying to take the heater controls out to have a look behind, easyier said then done. <_<

its from a 94 e36 and its the dial ones, two big dials on the out side and two smaller ones in the middle, anyhelp would be good.

well cant get the heater controls out with out taking apart half the dash, which will have to be left for a day when i have more time, but i have noticed that a bulb is blown, so that would explain the lights going out but what about the heat?

well cant get the heater controls out with out taking apart half the dash, which will have to be left for a day when i have more time, but i have noticed that a bulb is blown, so that would explain the lights going out but what about the heat?

Sounds to me more like a fuse or wiring issue. OK, you have already checked out the obvious, the fuse. So it must be the wiring, or an earth lead perhaps (which is still wiring). Because ALL the lights are about as well as the motor that's drive the vent controls, it must be the wiring. (Is there more than just one bulb?)

Years ago when I was a mechanic in the '80s I had an e20 electrical fault to fix. Basically the gauges and things were going hay-wire. I thought the obvious, an earth...but where is it? After some searching I headed down to the local BMW dealership of the day to borrow their microfiche.

"BMW microfiche won't fit on your reader!" they tried to insist.

"Yes it will, Mercedes are made in Germany too you know!!!" I replied. (Yes, I worked on Benz.)

Anyway they laughed at me as if I was as hopeless a mechanic as they obviously were, but they loaned me the microfiche after some hesitation. I went back to my workshop, checked out the microfiche, found what I needed and had the job fixed half an hour later. Yes, it was the earth as I had diagnosed, a big fat loom that earths out on the body under the dash on the left-hand side of the car. The paint just needed to be cleaned back a bit...it was a very new car. Simple!

But will any of that help you? I don't know, but it might, so I thought the story was worth sharing. :)

Good luck

Paul

ha ha thanks very good story, well the heater now works dont know what happened but seems to be working on thie drive i just took, lights still out thoe, there seems to be only one bulb thats out, and it clearly looks blown, dont know fully how to change the bulb thoe but geuss ill figure that out when time permits.