Sign in to follow this  
kiwipetrolhead

setting tappets from scratch (and other questions and some news...)

Hi there,

My old '83 e21 323i has the engine back in and the head on now. Now I need to set the tappets, but the BMW dealer gave me hot settings, which are:

Inlet: 0.12" (hot)

Exhaust: 0.12" (hot)

If I recall from my days as a mechanic many years back, the clearances need to be wider when the engine is cold, then recheck/adjust once hot. But what I don't recall is by how much wider (if it is 'wider') that the clearances should be set to when cold. Any ideas?

Also, anyone ever replaced the cam belt pulley on their car? Not the adjuster (or 'jockey', I have replaced that already), but he one that bolts to the cam itself. It is a pressed steel one and the teeth on mine look a bit worn. Should I replace it? If so, is there any good supplier other than genuine?

Also, I have bought various new stainless steels cap screws and things to dress the engine up a bit. It should look quite tidy once it's all finished - but not overdone.

And, I am doing the brakes up as well. I had the master Cyl sleeved with stainless steel and the brake booster re-kitted. (I was hoping the booster diaphragm was faulty 'cause them brakes were crap before.) Also, I'm getting new ventilated front discs for it, and I have already bought that rather expensive 'elf' brake fluid that they use in F1 cars (it's about $40 retail for a 500ml bottle). I plan to put some air ducting in for the brakes too - last time I took it around Manfeild the brakes were smokin' massively when I came into the pits after only 6 laps, and the discs were warped.

Cheers

Paul

OK, no one knows about tappet settings when cold, or won't tell me at least? Anyway, I have set them to 12 thou cold now, so I will recheck once hot (as I would have done anyway). Still, I suspect there won't be a lot of difference, if any, between hot and cold.

As for the cam pulley, I haven't done anything more about this yet, but I plan to pop into the local agents tomorrow to see how much OEM ones cost.

Cheers

Paul

(Why do I feel like I'm talking to myself! :angry: )