Sign in to follow this  
Jamiepo

2.5 Stroker Kits

I have been looking at options other than turboing and and a 2.7 builds I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with stroker kits that are available for the 2.5 m20 engines. I have baeen having a look at 2.9, 3 and 3.1 kits that are available from Ireland engineering over in the states and I was wondering if there are similar kits (read price wise) available here in NZ

Probably not for cheaper than what getting one of those Ireland Engineering 3.1 kits would cost. plus that kit looks like it would turn your E30 into a beast.

Hi, im a bit of a noob when it come to this sort of thing. Is this a kit that uprades the stroke of the engine? If it is i would be keen on some info as well. How hard would it be to stroke my engine up to a 2.8. I have the M52 engine, same as the 328i, but mine is only a 2.5l. Thanks

Hi, im a bit of a noob when it come to this sort of thing. Is this a kit that uprades the stroke of the engine? If it is i would be keen on some info as well. How hard would it be to stroke my engine up to a 2.8. I have the M52 engine, same as the 328i, but mine is only a 2.5l. Thanks

SO you currently have the M52B25? If so I am pretty sure that if you got the crank out of an M52B28 and swapped it in then you should be right.

Hi. Yea i have a M52B25. Aye is that all i have to do? How hard is it to swap them over? Is it possible to do it urself or does a professional have to do it? Thanks

need to change the rods as well, probably reprogram the ecu too I would guess?

For the amount of trouble you would have to go through you would be better off finding an crashed car with the a 2.8 engine in it and swapping it in with its ECU. I am pretty sure that you would need to change injecters as well so basically you are taking 50% of the bits out of an engine you may aswell take the enigine its self. Where as I am looking to do the M20b25 as a targa car project.

Re strokin/boring m20 engine...

stock bore = 84mm

stock 325 crank = 75mm stroke

m20b27/m21b24 crank = 81mm stroke

now, it is possibly to fit m50/m50/s50/s52 crank into m20, with small modification (requires access to lathe to make a sleave on the front of the crank)

so now you are going to m52b25 crank = 84mmstroke

m50b28 i *think* is 86mm

and e36 m3 crank is over 89.6mm stroke, but that will require more modifications to block/crank as counterwieghts are just too large - but it has been done, and proper engine rebuild shop will have tools to perform mods

so basicaly you got mix and match, with custom pistons you can over bore to 85 or 86 mm stroke, to thooretical max displacment m20 is 89mm stroke x 86mm bore = 3101cc...

relatively easy is m50b25 crank + 84mm pistons to give you proper 2.8 stroker.

labour/machining of internal engine components gets very expensive very fast, as things need to be heat threated and stuff....

i'm not sure about m50 exacly, but i believe it has different pistons and longer crank, i think rods are the same, because these engines normally run 130mm rods. some run 135mm rods...

bottom line for that extra little kick, stage1 turbo setup would be more cost effective.

Edited by mops