Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

2nd Gear crunching.

Today on after my exam I started the car and did a u-ie and headed to go home.I hooked second and gave it a bita sh*t and at about 3500 rpm it just went krrrrrr and crunched...same kinda crunch as when you try to change down a gear without clutching it bla bla.

Anyway drove home and didnt happen again.But I did realise the clutch was squeeking when releasing...havent tried crc 'ing the spring behind it to see if thats the problem.Checked fluids all sweet as.

Note also that it has been making some weird ass crunching sounds mainly at the higher revs of 2nd and 3rd but has never crunched like it did before.

Also somewhere I think there is metal to metal ie worn/missing bush somewhere.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Ashkan

my 2nd isnt smooth as butter its a wee bit clunky, but doesnt crunch?? mayb the g/box is on its way out? replace the oil in it, pretty easy to do, bleed clutch not hard either? not really sure though

Ohh also...the crunch happend while it had been in gear for about 3 seconds.

I'll bleed the clutch tommorow and see how it goes.

Chur

Ohh also...the crunch happend while it had been in gear for about 3 seconds.

I'll bleed the clutch tommorow and see how it goes.

Chur

If the clutch pedal feels no different than before and it is only 2nd gear then it won't be the clutch, but the gearbox. If you drain the oil, as someone else already suggested, you can see if there are any bits (like bits of broken bearing cages), or fine metals flakes in the oil. If there is either, then you definitely know you therefore have a gearbox job on your hands. But gearboxes are fun and easy to rebuild, and if it is only the bearings that are faulty then replace them all and do it quick before more expensive damage is done.

Cheers

Paul