Sign in to follow this  
blk320i

e30 elec prob

ive had some trouble with the e30 flattening batteries and in turn locking me out of the car. went out to a mates place and they diagnosed it as relay k8 is drawing a charge all the time. it is definately a replacment relay and we are guessing it is the wrong one. so basically i need to get the proper relay for it. how much should one set me back? where would i get one from? anyone have a spare?

thanks

nick

shouldn't be more than $10 to 15 from any good auto electrician.

May not be the relay itself at fault, you need to confirm as to whether it is the relay contacts sticking - if so then yes faulty relay.

Unplug the relay then refit - if it clicks when refitting then it is being triggered so it is not that at fault but is being switched on.

K8 relay is for fog lights - also fuses 29 & 30, Cental locking nothing to do with that circuit -it is fuse 27 & controlled by the locking module, located inside bottom of drivers kick panel under a plastic cover, secured with 3 screws. These modules do fail, can stay on & burn out all locking motors.

Be aware that most of the relays in the car -although with same terminal layout as standard, do have a different terminal configuration which can catch you out. Could well be the problem with K8

I can supply any parts you find you require.

Cheers Grant

Edited by hotwire

we removed the relay and when we put it back in it does click, so we presumed this is the problem. what do you suggest we do now?

Try unplugging the locking module and then seeing if the relay still engages.

If the relay stays off and your resdiual current draw diminishes then suspect the locking module for not switching off the relay.

Jochen

As I said, K8 has nothing to do with central locking but is the fog light relay.

The fact that it energises when plugged back indicates that it is getting switched to earth, this is unlikely to be the car at fault as the winding circuit earthes via fog & headlight switches when they are turned on.

Rather I suspect as I mentioned previously that the wrong relay is installed in K8 space. If that is the case it will cause that relay to stay engaged as the pin layout is different.

To check, remove relay & identify terminal layout in relation to numbers beside each one, remove another from the group of six & compare layout - they should be the same, look for a difference in 30 & 86 positions in the two units.

Otherwise suggest you see an auto sparky in your neck of the woods.

Good luck

Grant

i am out of town for the week and have left the battery connected and pulled the relay out. when i get back into town i will see if the car starts and then go from there.

dude that car looks sweet, why degangster it? oh i kinda miss mine in those days hah, need two

Edited by nz320i

yeah, it didnt look to bad but wasnt the style i was after. ive already sold the wheels and am on the hunt for some replacments, also on the lookout for a mtech kit etc.