Sign in to follow this  
blk320i

e30 door lock removal

my drivers door lock is non-existant because some tried to break in but only got as far as pushing in the door lock. i went to a panel beater today to suss out a price on welding in a plate, bogging over it and then paint it. he said he would charge $80 to weld in a plate and bog it and a further $60 to paint it. if i were to do this i would obviously want the drivers and passenger door done, so all up i would be looking at $280 to get both door locks welded up and painted. just wondering if this sounds reasonable because he can fit me in tomorrow ( thursday ) to get it done. one other thing that has got me a bit worried is that he said that he has done it before to a couple of civics and over time the bog has cracked because of the shutting of the door over and over. anyone had any experiance with getting the locks removed and filled?

thanks

nick

another factor to take into consideration - E30 central locking systems can and sometimes do fail, just keep in mind thiis a nearly 20 year old car.

so.. your pretty much de locking your car and going to have remote locking?? would suck if its ever screwed up or you got a flat batt dude.. would look cool, but yeah i wouldnt trust it!!

solex locks or something??

If your going to do it replace the locking system, like me!! although i wouldnt get cheap motors like i did if your not going to have locks, as said before the central locking in these cars isnt the best.

all i did was wire up the doors, you dont really need it on the boot, just use your key for that, and $280 is cheap??

Edited by nz320i

i just thought it would be a simple solution as the hole from where the lock came from is rugged. do they still make solex locks? whats the benefit of putting in solex locks? wouldnt you be able to whack them in through the hole and in turn gain access to the car? i need to do something as i cant park it anywhere because you can put your finger in through the hole and pop up the lock.

Yeh if your central locking craps out its a bitch...even with door locks.

Solex locks are a bitch to get into whilst not sober.

280 seems a bit steep? I mean take it to an old man engineer thats been at it for yonks,he'll do a good job of it and it'll be cheaper,thats what I did on my old car when I got a dent taken out of a door.

my 2c

looks like im just gonna buy some replacment door locks as my central locking ( as of tonight ) has decided to only work when it wants to. wouldnt mind replacing the central locking system with an aftermarket item . where did you score yours from nz320i? is it hard to install?