Sign in to follow this  
ducatiss

E 30 Air Con Removal

My air con doesn't work, nor has it ever worked while I have had my e30 and to be honest it hasn't really bothered me. I have a sunroof that I use in the summer that I enjoy.

My question is: are there any issues with removing the air con compressor? The system already appears completely discharged. It seems a shame to be lugging the weight of an unused compressor around.

Also any advantage to removing the condenser as well?

Any comments either saying its worth while or just a stupid idea welcome.

Hi Brent,

If completely empty -(hard to tell without gauges or cracking a line), then just unbolt the unit & mounting bracket as required. You can disconnect hoses & remove them at the firewall also.

Yes, you may as well remove condenser & receiver/drier as well as it is of no use without the rest of the system.

If still gas in the system - the (technically correct) way is to have it professionally removed before cracking the system although a lot of people wouldn't bother.

As to whether worthwhile or not? - hard to say, not a lot of extra weight & a pain to resurect if wanted in future. minimal drag on engine when not engauged, your call really.

take it out... and the heater to. you dont need em. just keep a rag handy to demist the windows after that sunday night romp at the beach :P

Also having no heater unit clears up so much room behind the dash. good for xbox or inverter or whatever.

I took all of it out a couple of weeks ago, really did feel a difference handling wise, became much more darty. Lost about 20kgs total from the very front.

And I was amazed just how heavy the pump is, it's like its filled with squashed teeth of baby.

I was keen on ripping mine out also.

What happens if you pull everything out and there is still gas (and heaps of it) in the pipes?

Rangi fix job ie cut a pipe and let it piss out or nay?

Cheers