Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

My new 1990 SA built 325i

Fark me,what a difference.

And def. dye the parcel tray black,looks mint! Good ol' elbow grease aye?

Good stuff.

Did u actually paint the parcel tray or dye it?

Edited by bmw_beau

nz320i....

Jamex progressive lows are in the boot :D Not a lot of good there I know but Im trying to sort out some shocks to do them all at the same time. Once the front is dropped I will be happy.

The red tint was from Placemakers and its a glass tint rather than a lense tint. Andy suggested something else but I just couldnt find it so I stuck with this. They look better in person and not so orange but still not quite as red as the rest of the lense.

bmw_beau....

I was looking for some carpet dye but just like the lense tint couldnt find any after Id tried the local hardware place, mitre 10, placemakers, spotlight etc. Ended up at Repco with some vinyl/fabric dye and you just spray it on over several coats. I have some carpet shampoo that I used first and the tray looks like new now.

A big difference over the grey, but then the old one was so badly sun damaged that it just snapped in two as I was taking it out.

Black 'wood' stain, or just carpet dye would do the trick for the tray. Surely carpet places could hok you up.

Phone Keith 027 2401077 -- he sells the Jamex's, would be cheaper to go through him then trademe.

Deff. satin black the entire grill, kidneys [freebie so I hear], mirrors [sand back any rust bubbles], door handles, aircon heater grill thingies, wipers etc... [if you want a good lasting finish prep. them well ie; clean, sand, primer, sand, paint etc...

Looks tidy however.

Edited by jpp

nz320i....

Jamex progressive lows are in the boot :D Not a lot of good there I know but Im trying to sort out some shocks to do them all at the same time. Once the front is dropped I will be happy.

Did you go for super low or 40mm drop? let me know what shocks you end up using! am keen to do the same thing in my car to get a stiffer ride, thanks

looks bangin ya great big pom. Needs a hit with the lowering stick too. Tint those front indicators and get some clear ones for the side and tint them a bit too.

Guest Spargo

I see you've joined the "massive E30 tool kit and bootliner" club with Graham and I.

How do you take those heater things off to paint?tried for a while but didn't wanna break it so I gave up lol.

Chur

Reckon that fabric dye spray would do the trick on my seats? (changing the fabric section of a half leather seat from navy blue to black)

How do you take those heater things off to paint?tried for a while but didn't wanna break it so I gave up lol.

Chur

do you mean the heater control bits?? take the knobs off by pulling, then get a jewellers flat drive and the panel comes off, only clips in, then behind that there are 4 screws

cheers

Chur

You mean in the rear shelf or the scuttleboard ?

The rear shelf ones just pop out from behind when the shelf is out and I just did the scuttleboard ones on the car with a cloth and some cotton buds to get into the gaps :)

Reckon that fabric dye spray would do the trick on my seats? (changing the fabric section of a half leather seat from navy blue to black)

It probably would but I personally wouldnt use it on seats. It does say you can use it on fabric but for me it wasnt the best solution for dyeing something. I was happy to put it on the rear shelf simply because you arent going to be touching it all that often.

The thing to remember is that it is a paint (ie you spray it on) and not really a dye.

Nah,the bit outside the car that is next to the windscreen wipers.

Nah,the bit outside the car that is next to the windscreen wipers.

Scuttleboard then.....applicator pad and cotton buds on the car, easy to do but if you really want to get them off there are three clips on the bottom that you need to lever out. There are little indentations on them from memory that tell you where they are.

That part is called a scuttleboard isnt it ?

So essentially you just painted them whilst still on the car?My god I can see that going south if I did it haha

So essentially you just painted them whilst still on the car?My god I can see that going south if I did it haha

Nah mate, the paint/dye was for the rear shelf, on those I used meguiars gold class trim detailer....its fantastic on anything black.

My rear spoiler was white it was so badly damaged but after a couple of treatments with this stuff its black than black now and getting its 'sponginess' back

Well worth the money as it does all your trim :D

Update time and Im feeling happy.....pick up some tyres this evening for the Alpinas, so they can go back on, and Ive just picked up an m-tech 1 rear wing for 40 bucks :)

Car is now on KYB shocks and King springs (30mm drop) which Im loving. Ive driven cars on various mixtures of bilstein, boge, eibach, jamex etc and I can say these are a great compromise for handling and ride and are excellent value for the money.

Firm but not bone shakingly hard (which at my age is a blessing).

So its going to be a busy weekend getting the Alpinas cleaned up and painting the tech1 rear wing but Im looking forward to it :D

Ill stick some more pics on when Ive got everything on....still looking for some SE side skirts though....give me a shout if you have any you want to get rid of.