Sign in to follow this  
BMR_320i

6X9's in a 320i!

Hey guys, i just bought some kicker 6x9's for my 1990 320i and when i went to get them installed the guy at the shop told me he wouldnt be able to put them in?!?! he told me trying to put them in wud mean cutting the metal under the parcel tray and by doing this would mean i wouldnt pass a warrent?!?! is this tru and if so what can i do to fix this problem?!? i really want them in my car, don't wanna sell them!

Cheers guys

Hey guys, i just bought some kicker 6x9's for my 1990 320i and when i went to get them installed the guy at the shop told me he wouldnt be able to put them in?!?! he told me trying to put them in wud mean cutting the metal under the parcel tray and by doing this would mean i wouldnt pass a warrent?!?! is this tru and if so what can i do to fix this problem?!? i really want them in my car, don't wanna sell them!

Cheers guys

Yes it's true, Either make boxes to fit them in, or spacers so that they fit on the parcel tray without cutting the metal. (raises the mounting surface of the speaker an inch or so above the parcel tray surface)

Guest Spargo

for a start, 6x9's are ratshit. No joke.

second, you shouldn't be running any speakers in the rear anyway, it puts your soundstage completely out of wack.

Why not just trademe them, and get some badass components up front?

Top of my firewall has been butchered (not by me) and passes warrents no problems.

Posted Image

Don't know if you can see it but they have def. been butchered.Suckes though cos like Sam said 6x9's suck balls.

Work good in a reallly small car though.

cheers guys so you reckon that i should sell the 6x9's and get better front speakers, sounds like a plan, might have to sort out ma trademe thing for them then!

thanks again guys

Top of my firewall has been butchered (not by me) and passes warrents no problems.

Posted Image

Don't know if you can see it but they have def. been butchered.Suckes though cos like Sam said 6x9's suck balls.

Work good in a reallly small car though.

BUTCHERED!! MASSACRED!!!!!!!!!!

Was in the process of dying parcel tray,removing stop light and punching ski hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks more like this now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But with seats!!!!!!!!!!! and no 6x9's!!??

Posted Image

for a start, 6x9's are ratshit. No joke.

Agreed, Just get some bad ass fronts, and some of the same size ones for the rare, but use a good brand like alpine or rockford, infinity, thats what id do... :D

Agreed, Just get some bad ass fronts, and some of the same size ones for the rare, but use a good brand like alpine or rockford, infinity, thats what id do... :D

Excuse my ignorance on the subject - but why are 6X9's so bad?

Excuse my ignorance on the subject - but why are 6X9's so bad?

Ditto! ? 6x9 aint the be all & end all but installed correctly they work well. Admittedly a good 6 1/2 speaker will be as good though.

The problem in most cars is being able to fit without the illegal hacking to the rear shelf, & they sound crap when fitted into mounting pods or boxes.

As for no rear speakers at all - yes agreed it does change the sound stage but a car doesn't have ideal acoustics anyway - usually fronts are parked down by your feet or legs so having rear fill too I think is better.