Sign in to follow this  
arcon

door lock problems

first post on bimmersport nz, didn't know there was a local bimmer forum till yesterday :)

my '96 318is passenger door lock has completely died. the central locking is controlled by a Mongoose M60C alarm which works fine except for that door, i can't even push the lock up and down from the inside.

The door had a brand new actuator installed 3 months ago to fix an intermittant fault like this and it seemed to help for a bit, but then progressively got worse and now its gone, have to lock it from the outside and just leave it. i'm told its not the actuator but the lock assembly is stuffed.... is this major like it sounds..?

first post on bimmersport nz, didn't know there was a local bimmer forum till yesterday :)

my '96 318is passenger door lock has completely died. the central locking is controlled by a Mongoose M60C alarm which works fine except for that door, i can't even push the lock up and down from the inside.

The door had a brand new actuator installed 3 months ago to fix an intermittant fault like this and it seemed to help for a bit, but then progressively got worse and now its gone, have to lock it from the outside and just leave it. i'm told its not the actuator but the lock assembly is stuffed.... is this major like it sounds..?

Hi, Welcome to the site. Hard to say, is the lock hard to turn from the key? (outside) Probably best to remove the actuator, leave wired & try the locking operation - confirm whether actuator works with no load. If so it will be something awol in the latch mechanism - particually if you still cant push the inside lock down with the actuator out.

All you can do then is pull the latch assy out & check for fault.

Good luck