Sign in to follow this  
lidistick

E36 lights.

Too many topics already so I thought I'll start one :)

Decided against Angel Eyes as its only for looks and not for actual lighting performance. As I do about 400kms a week of long distance driving (usually after dark), I decided to pick up some Philips H1 50% increase brightness from Repco. Slight blue tint at the top of the bulb but otherwise still yellow-white in colour. Supposed to give me an extra 10~20m of extra light but tonight when I drive to work, I'll see if it was worth the $53 :)

Cheers.

Too many topics already so I thought I'll start one :)

Decided against Angel Eyes as its only for looks and not for actual lighting performance. As I do about 400kms a week of long distance driving (usually after dark), I decided to pick up some Philips H1 50% increase brightness from Repco. Slight blue tint at the top of the bulb but otherwise still yellow-white in colour. Supposed to give me an extra 10~20m of extra light but tonight when I drive to work, I'll see if it was worth the $53 :)

Cheers.

I'm not sure if there is increased visibility as the packaging says it will deliver. There is definitely more light intensity up to the normal range but I'm not sure if it actually projects the beam further. Too bad HID retrofits are illegal. Any other methods of increasing the range?

Too bad HID retrofits are illegal.

Doesn't stop people from trying though. Anyway, Hella does have a e36 HID headlight where the whole headlight unit is replaced. That one is legal.

If it's the range that you need, how about some pencil beam driving lights?

Doesn't stop people from trying though. Anyway, Hella does have a e36 HID headlight where the whole headlight unit is replaced. That one is legal.

If it's the range that you need, how about some pencil beam driving lights?

Hmm new to me this one. Any links? I know Hella do a HID kit but I was under the assumption all HID kits were illegal. May have to check and price that one up.

Sure, it's from an old catalogue. But I can't find them from the current website anymore.

post-450-1168162841_thumb.jpg

Guessing the blue tint at the top of the bulb gave it a whiter colour at the expense of output. I'm running Osram Silverstar bulbs, which are supposed to look whiter and increase output, and they don't have a tint. They are only very slightly whiter, if I didn't point it out no one would notice. Same goes for brightness. In the end, 55W H1 halogens will all be roughly the same. So there isn't much point at all paying a premium for better bulbs.

Some people like to use higher wattage bulbs but that can hurt the harness. So... as my_e36 mentioned, in the end the only legal way to do it is going for the Hella HID kit for the E36. Those have Angel eyes as well :) They're called the Hella CELIS HID kit. I think for legality the HID system must have auto-leveling, which I guess the kit comes with. In fact LTSA's booklet on lighting modifications has the E36 with the Hella CELIS HID system on the cover, so it must be legal? :unsure:

IMO, our lights are pretty decent. Have you got yours aimed properly? After aiming them using the adjustment screws on the lights, I usually adjust them from inside the cabin depending on the area I'm in.

Guessing the blue tint at the top of the bulb gave it a whiter colour at the expense of output. I'm running Osram Silverstar bulbs, which are supposed to look whiter and increase output, and they don't have a tint. They are only very slightly whiter, if I didn't point it out no one would notice. Same goes for brightness. In the end, 55W H1 halogens will all be roughly the same. So there isn't much point at all paying a premium for better bulbs.

Some people like to use higher wattage bulbs but that can hurt the harness. So... as my_e36 mentioned, in the end the only legal way to do it is going for the Hella HID kit for the E36. Those have Angel eyes as well :) They're called the Hella CELIS HID kit. I think for legality the HID system must have auto-leveling, which I guess the kit comes with. In fact LTSA's booklet on lighting modifications has the E36 with the Hella CELIS HID system on the cover, so it must be legal? :unsure:

IMO, our lights are pretty decent. Have you got yours aimed properly? After aiming them using the adjustment screws on the lights, I usually adjust them from inside the cabin depending on the area I'm in.

Yes the lights are aimed properly. Its hard coming from an Accord with HID to the Bosch lights. Driving from the Te Puke turn-off to Whakatane at night and I really notice the difference between a HID setup and the standard BMW one. If the Hella one is legal, that's probably where I'll spend the money.

Hmm Hella NZ don't have it on their website.

Yes the lights are aimed properly. Its hard coming from an Accord with HID to the Bosch lights. Driving from the Te Puke turn-off to Whakatane at night and I really notice the difference between a HID setup and the standard BMW one. If the Hella one is legal, that's probably where I'll spend the money.

Hmm Hella NZ don't have it on their website.

Here: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detai...CT_ID=1AL-XENON

Just to show you what we're talking about. I'm not sure if the beam pattern can be switched from LHD to RHD, or you have to buy a RHD set specifically.

Here: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detai...CT_ID=1AL-XENON

Just to show you what we're talking about. I'm not sure if the beam pattern can be switched from LHD to RHD, or you have to buy a RHD set specifically.

CRIPES! USD$1400!

:o

I'll have to think hard about it first. That's quite a bit more than I expected to spend.

CRIPES! USD$1400!

:o

I'll have to think hard about it first. That's quite a bit more than I expected to spend.

Definitely a hell of a lot of money :(