Sign in to follow this  
arcon

Buying a 2001 E46

I am selling a 2001 E46 with the updated 2.2 l motor.

thanks for the reply mate but as per one of my previous posts, i'm only considering local cars (I'm in Auckland). best of luck with the sale :)

having had a leather ride i would never go back.

I second that. I sat in a few BMWs at Jeff Gray while I was waiting for my car to be brought out and sat in a few otherwise nice cars, but with cloth. Where once it would have made no difference to me, now that I'm used to leather, they just felt ... wrong.

Hybrid - great info and I'm very surprised that the cost was so cheap.

just following up to this post, would anyone buy a Grade 4 import..? i've searched the archives and people have recommended at least 4.5, what sort of defects would be typical of a grade 4...? (this would be for a japan import, and i would get bmw to check it out as well).

just following up to this post, would anyone buy a Grade 4 import..? i've searched the archives and people have recommended at least 4.5, what sort of defects would be typical of a grade 4...? (this would be for a japan import, and i would get bmw to check it out as well).

You may find it has been a smoker, so entails typical smoker defects such as burnholes in the seats etc. Grade 4 may need small panel repairs and have minor paint issues, but heres a copy of the grading system:

CAR GRADING SYSTEM

OVERALL GRADE (almost all auctions)

Grade 6 or 8 is given to a new car that is being sold in an auction.

Grade 5 to a car with less than 10,000kms and less than 3 years old in perfect condtion.

Grade 4.5 is in excellent condition.

Grade 4 is good but may need some paint or panel.

Grade 3.5 is similar but may need even more paint and panel, or it has high kms, very few cars are given grade 4 if they are over 100,000kms.

Grade 3 has either serious paint and panel or it has had a panel replacement somewhere. If it is the latter, it is often a good buy

Now I don't want to scare you, and Im sure many people are happy with their imports - but we brought a 1994 320i from a dealer (Not a BMW Dealer btw) 60,000km's, BMW Inspection, Grade 4.5 etc. 3 months later it had HUGE problems, and took the techies 3 months to fix and thousands of dollars later... fixed.

My advice would be that if you wait, and "play the game" so to speak, having a max figure, say, $25k in your head, and look everywhere. Trademe, Autotrader, Autopoint, Buy Sell, Dealers, Newspapers.... Im sure you will find one.

BMW can only check so much. They advise what will be due for replacement/repair and advise whether to buy or not. They cant predict a multi-thousand dollar repair in 6 months time...

Avoid Singapore imports. Electrics + Humid conditions = Chaos.

Good things come to those who wait.

Good luck,

Em.

Avoid Singapore imports. Electrics + Humid conditions = Chaos.

This is more of an issue with the Mercs as I'm sure you are aware Em's, & the advantage of a Singapore import is that they have the same specs as a car that would be an NZ new example (ie the spring settings, the jappas have softer springs , drive an NZ new car of the same year & model as a jappa & they can feel like diffrent cars altogether)

the problem you get with 99% of the cars imported from Japan is the lack of servicing so even some low km cars can cause greef, Japan also suffers from the Humid conditions depending on what part of japan the car came from.

Edited by vonripsnorter

thanks for the replies - i owned my Singa import for a year and the rubber trim was in pretty bad condition, and the electrics were a bit dodge but mainly 'cause the previous owner had re-wired it ;) but the car never cost much in the way of repairs (heh always a regulator and actuator with a bmw ;) ), never had major issues with it though. i'd try a jap import this time i think, but would definitely not import without seeing it, i'd buy local.

BMW POWER - what sort of problems did you have, i would hope that a 2001 would be more reliable than a '94...? thanks for the info on grading, minor exterior flaws are no big issue as they are not that expensive to fix if necessary, and at least they're easy to see on inspection. i'd get a bmw check and a mech friend to check it, but yeah impossible to predict some things like u say, i know if the transmission goes it costs many thousands to fix...

btw i've seen the jap imports have weird plate holders on the back, can these be removed? i'd want to fit a kiwi plate.

btw i've seen the jap imports have weird plate holders on the back, can these be removed? i'd want to fit a kiwi plate.

If you're lucky its screwed on and the screws haven't rusted up.

If you're unlucky you'll be like me and find yours is riveted on.. I should probably bust out the drill someday..

thanks for the replies - i owned my Singa import for a year and the rubber trim was in pretty bad condition, and the electrics were a bit dodge but mainly 'cause the previous owner had re-wired it ;) but the car never cost much in the way of repairs (heh always a regulator and actuator with a bmw ;) ), never had major issues with it though. i'd try a jap import this time i think, but would definitely not import without seeing it, i'd buy local.

BMW POWER - what sort of problems did you have, i would hope that a 2001 would be more reliable than a '94...? thanks for the info on grading, minor exterior flaws are no big issue as they are not that expensive to fix if necessary, and at least they're easy to see on inspection. i'd get a bmw check and a mech friend to check it, but yeah impossible to predict some things like u say, i know if the transmission goes it costs many thousands to fix...

Well if we put it in ratio, we purchased the '94 in 2005. So its an 11 year old car, and (again, speculation) pre-95/96 E36's weren't as reliable as post 95's. We had a computer meltdown and something to do with an actual engine problem. I cant really remember that well but it was an absolute stress.. Sorry I can't be specific, but it was big.

A 2001 is at the most a 6 year old car. So it hasn't been exposed to the conditions of Asia for as long.For me personally, I wouldn't buy an import. But thats just me. It really is up to you but if you come to a point where you have to decide between a Jap and a NZ New - I'd go for the NZ new. Definitely get it thoroughly checked out...

Yeah minor exterior things aren't a problem, its called touch up paint and panel n' repair :)

Yes the UGLY UGLY FERAL jap plates can be removed. UGLY UGLY. Lol. Its usually just screws... Hopefully not rivets... Just bust out the chainsaw if thats the case haha.

Paul - Yeah the Merc "Singas" are.. lets just say... questionable. I don't work at BMW so I'm sure that you know exactly what goes on with the imported BMW's.