Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ari Gold

E30 install help

Guest Spargo

I'm piecing together my new stereo setup, and have decided on amped infinity kappa components, E36 business headunit, audiocontrol 6xs electronic crossover, alpine amps and an infinity kappa perfect 12" sub.

Now my questions: Is the E36 headunit compatible with any sort of ipod interface like an icelink or such?

Has anyone had experience with amping both the tweeters AND the woofers in a component setup? Using an external crossover rather than the ones they come with? How difficult is this to tune?

Furthermore, since i'm not running rear speakers, has anyone got an E30 parcel tray with no holes cut in it?

Cheers for any advice.

Ditch the e36 headunit, it will hold you back alot. Get a decent aftermarket headunit with all the inputs/outputs

trudat! specially if ur going down the active crossover road

r u making custom door pods for the infinitys?? hve jst put infinty reference 6.5'" in and they just get into the kick panels(hve kappas 2 and there huge!) and require glovebox mods and a new bonnet release latch

seen some on ebay.co.uk but are quite pricey

post-1524-1168500157_thumb.jpg

post-1524-1168500050_thumb.jpg

post-1524-1168499979_thumb.jpg

not tht hard to do, jst effort!!

why active crossovers thought about dsp?

Edited by Kat

Guest Spargo

One of the worlds leading installers had this to say:

OK, so it goes like this...Virtually all aftermarket companies make the decks that are used as factory decks. They use basically the same components as the aftermarket decks, but generally do not offer pre-amp outputs.

The point of Preamp outputs is to send a signal to the amplifier that has not been through a major gain stage. Major gain is ALWAYS noisier than the preamp, subject to higher distortion, etc.

That is why feeding a stock deck into an amplifier makes shitty sound, just as running an amp off of the speaker leads of an otherwise fine sounding deck makes poopie sound too. Major gain stage into a additional major gain stage, FTL.

BMW "Business" decks do not have a major gain stage, but instead have a HUGE preamp stage...that is why ALL newer BMW's have a factory amp.

I often use BMW factory amps and speakers in nicer installs by using a crossover like the MTX LSC3 or the Audiocontrol 6XS to highpass the stock amp, allow sub level control (in dash) and use aftermarket amps in conjunction with the stock stuff. You would not believe what a E46 system can sound like set up like this. Stock deck, stock amp running the front and rear mids, but with an aftermarket amp running the bass...as an added bonus, I sometimes use a tiny little amp to seperate the tweets...unbelievable sound quality, from stock speakers.

Feed a Business Class deck into an AudioControl 6XS. Run the front with a 4 channel, so the tweeters are powered seperately form the mids (and electronically crossed over) run a small 2 channel for the rear (if you must run rear, I say don't in an E30) and a decent amp/woofer combo for the rear.

Even on the stock speakers, you would be amazed.

And here is what it looks like:

Posted Image

arnt bmw bloody amazing!!! they think of everything!!!

wish i knew bout this b4 coulda saved some mula!

Now my questions: Is the E36 headunit compatible with any sort of ipod interface like an icelink or such?

I was looking into this as a solution to have an ipod in the 7. Along the way I found these, they may be of some help.

Linky One

Linky Two

Linky Three

6.5" shallow components at the front rule..v happy with amped infinity reference fronts....the kappa should be better.

pretty sure my e30 has the amp, all my speaker inputs from my bmw headdeck go in as RCA plugs to another box and out as leads to speakers, goes loud and sounds great with my ipod, i gave up on my pioneer and went back! came from a e30 318iS but may look at bmw business headunit now...how much and i assume they have aux?

Edited by nz320i

Any more on this Sam, Im keen to know how you get on with an e36 head unit.

I need something in the 3 and Im keen to not get any of the neon crap there is about at the moment. Why do after market people think everyone wants neons feckign lights flashing stupid pixelated dolphins across the screen !

Any more on this Sam, Im keen to know how you get on with an e36 head unit.

I need something in the 3 and Im keen to not get any of the neon crap there is about at the moment. Why do after market people think everyone wants neons feckign lights flashing stupid pixelated dolphins across the screen !

My point exactly!

Sam I'm fully keen on a BMW Single for my E30. Is there any custom fabrication that you need to do or wires for the E36 > E30 changeover? I'm fully keen for a Biz single, but if it requires too much fabrication i'll just buy an iPod tape adapter :)

Guest Denny Crane

The E30 front panel requires trimming for the E36 headunit to fit - and you need to build a custom holder for it as you file away the original HU mounts

Hows it looking now man? Piccies?