Sign in to follow this  
kiwiland

Dreaded Pixels

Hi Guys (and Girls)

Today had to renew the WOF on my 2001 E39

All OK except for some grief from the inspector fellow who was not happy having to guess some of the digits in the odometer due to the dreaded pixel habit of going intermittent.

What is the current state of play with this problem? I know Jochen did some preliminary work but this seems to have come to a halt.

Can they be repaired locally?(Auckland)

What does it cost? What is the proceedure?

Does it cure the problem permanently?

What help can we get from our friendly BMW dealers on this problem

Comments and advice welcome

There is a place in Auckland that does this. Ive had mine done and its brilliant. I'll try and find out who did it

Hi Guys (and Girls)

Today had to renew the WOF on my 2001 E39

All OK except for some grief from the inspector fellow who was not happy having to guess some of the digits in the odometer due to the dreaded pixel habit of going intermittent.

What is the current state of play with this problem? I know Jochen did some preliminary work but this seems to have come to a halt.

Can they be repaired locally?(Auckland)

What does it cost? What is the proceedure?

Does it cure the problem permanently?

What help can we get from our friendly BMW dealers on this problem

HAD MINIE DONE LAST WEEK AT COOL CARS TI RAKAU DRIVE EAST AUCKLAND.

MINE WERE NACKERED AS IT'S 97 740 BUT THEY LOOK LIKE NEW. TAKES A COUPLE OF DAYS

CAN'T GIVE YOU A PRICE AS WAS UNDER WARRANTY BUT CAN ASK IF YOU LIKE OK

Robinsons Instrument Services in Auckland can do them. I sent my dash to a VDO Repair outfit in the states a couple of years ago as no one in NZ could do them at that time. I introduced Robinsons to these guys & they have since communicated with them & picked up the ball & are able to fix.

Have since used them for work related pixel repairs successfully. Around $450 from memory - better than about 1200 bucks for a new one.

Edited by hotwire

Robinsons Instrument Services in Auckland can do them. I sent my dash to a VDO Repair outfit in the states a couple of years ago as no one in NZ could do them at that time. I introduced Robinsons to these guys & they have since communicated with them & picked up the ball & are able to fix.

Have since used them for work related pixel repairs successfully. Around $450 from memory - better than about 1200 bucks for a new one.

Thanks to all for the info, this is what makes the Forum so useful. Any firm info on costing would help to add to the picture

Mine cost just under 400 I believe. I had it done with a whole load of other stuff so cant remember exactly and that included freight to and from Auckland