Sign in to follow this  
antony

levin supercharger in 320i e30

have the opportunity to buy a levin supercharger (off a 93?) for cheap.

how would this bolt in to a m20b20. i understand almost anything is possible with custom work. but what would be involved.

and would it be worth it, since its from a 1.6.

so the questions are; whats involved, how much would it cost, and is it worth it.

cheers

antony

o and just to clear things up, this is just research, altough i can buy it im in no position to follow through on the rest (yet).

So this is an academic exercise ...

1. It wouldnt just "bolt in" without so much custom work both in terms of custom pulleys, the building of brackets, tubing, etc not to mention the remapping of the fuel/air side of things that you would be spending thousands and thousands. Unless someone has done something like this, no-one will know the costs involved and I would doubt an engineer/mechanic would be interested either when they find out you aren't in the position to see it all though.

Turbo charging would be less expensive (slightly) and you would have a better chance of success. You would also have to change the comp ratio etc which involves lots of engine work.

So short answer is NO NO NO - not worth it unless you have access to someone who likes doing such modifications AND knows what they are doing. I have heard of supercharger kits for the M20 but they are very expensive.

A much better bet for you I think would be to drop a bigger engine in from either a 325i or better still something from an E36 or later. Still expensive but would be much cheaper than supercharging and a much better result in the end.

Hope that helps.

thanks

was really a bit of a pipe dream, and it's probably not big enough in the first place (would need something like what drifty325s post)

an engine upgrade is on the cards in the not so near future.

thanks

was really a bit of a pipe dream, and it's probably not big enough in the first place (would need something like what drifty325s post)

an engine upgrade is on the cards in the not so near future.

Yeh the SC12 wouldn't flow anywhere near enough to be worth the custom fabrication involved getting it to work.

Do the M50 swap (talk to MrHamWallet about it)

there was a car on trademe - orange 325 no. plate sydwys i think, that was running a toyota supercharger. went pretty nuts, im not to sure where its hanging around now though, he spent about 3.5-4k on the conversion... just to give you an idea