Sign in to follow this  
arcon

price check... 320i and 318i Motersport

i'm considering 2 E46 models (pref 2000-2002), 320i and 318i Motorsport. I really like sports suspension, having owned a '96 318iS, which was also 1900cc like the 2001 models. having test driven a 2001 320i, it was 'ok'. 2.2 6 cyl, the acceleration was very different to my old 318iS.... more sluggish in that it kinda had lag before the revs kicked in, but then once it had some speed up the grunt was more noticeable. and of course the suspension was not what i was used to, quite loose around corners. i have yet to test-trive the 2001 318 Msport but i'm guessing it will be more similar to my old car....

i've found i can get a 2001 320i mint for around 20K list, but the same year/Ks 318i Msport would go for around 23-24K...? is the sport suspension really worth that much cause there's no other major differences are there (lol apart from a less powerful engine?).

also does anyone have a list of engine specs (horsepower etc) for the 2000-2002 NZ models of 320 and 318i Msport (i think my old 96 was 16 valve M44? not sure on horsepower).

i'm considering 2 E46 models (pref 2000-2002), 320i and 318i Motorsport. I really like sports suspension, having owned a '96 318iS, which was also 1900cc like the 2001 models. having test driven a 2001 320i, it was 'ok'. 2.2 6 cyl, the acceleration was very different to my old 318iS.... more sluggish in that it kinda had lag before the revs kicked in, but then once it had some speed up the grunt was more noticeable. and of course the suspension was not what i was used to, quite loose around corners. i have yet to test-trive the 2001 318 Msport but i'm guessing it will be more similar to my old car....

i've found i can get a 2001 320i mint for around 20K list, but the same year/Ks 318i Msport would go for around 23-24K...? is the sport suspension really worth that much cause there's no other major differences are there (lol apart from a less powerful engine?).

also does anyone have a list of engine specs (horsepower etc) for the 2000-2002 NZ models of 320 and 318i Msport (i think my old 96 was 16 valve M44? not sure on horsepower).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bmw_3_series#E46

Possibly not deadly accurate but I'm sure it should do you fine

thanks heaps for that info - it was very useful. after weeks of driving to different dealers picked out two finalists below :) sucks dealing with dealers, but there are so few private sales around. all 318 models are out of the race :)

320i 2.2L 2001 - 85Ks

condition: awesome. inside and out.

extras: brand new 17" M3 mags (replicas, but still look cool).

323i 2.5L 1999 - 56Ks

condition: mint interior, exterior is ok, but noticeable scratches on 4 panels... *might* come out with cut and polish... but maybe not lol. some rubber peeling on bumper.

extras: ex cond 18" alloys (unknown brand), don't suit the car IMO, but would be worth something to trade.

- tightened suspension (not sure if factory sports).

- facelift with clear indicator lights.

both have 170bhp.... which is enough for me. i'm guessing both would have about the same fuel economy? both are jap imports, heh owned a singa 318iS and ain't going that way again :) personally the 320i looked a lot better maintained by previous owner despite the Ks. i preferred the suspension on the 323 but still leaning towards the 320i for some reason.... it just looks soooo new and its list price is $3K cheaper :) both are being booked for bmw inspection.

Bigger engine will always have more torque, which is important if you're not into revving the engine to get 170hp.

difference in economy between 2.2L and 2.5L engines shouldn't be huge and the bigger engine could even be more economical on long distance drives. Seems like you like the 320i, so good luck with the inspection. Hope it comes out ok. :)

Something to consider with the scratches on the 323 is to get the dealer to take care of it as a condition of sale.

Its not like its a small amount of money that your spending and Im sure once you spell out that its a choice of two but that the scratches are making you think again that they will organise something.

They will have a deal with a local valet/body shop who could take care of it for peanuts (to the dealer).

You could also get them to replace the wheels with something you like. All the dealers Ive ever been to would just swap them with another car on the lot. No skin off their nose and they make a sale.

Dont be afraid to push them to get what you want.

thanks for the info - didn't know that about torque, basically i occasionally like to rev from take-off but not often lol, pretty tame driver compared to most ppl on here.... and i hardly ever go long distance. i'm guessing 1999-2001 3 series still use 95+ octane like my old iS...?

RE Martyyn - i've always bought privately and usually just dragged down the list price all i can lol, but yeah you're totally right a dealer would find it easy to make those changes so i'll consider that. out of curiosity how much profit is a dealer likely to make on a jap import bmw listing at say 20K?

RE Martyyn - i've always bought privately and usually just dragged down the list price all i can lol, but yeah you're totally right a dealer would find it easy to make those changes so i'll consider that. out of curiosity how much profit is a dealer likely to make on a jap import bmw listing at say 20K?

Like Martyyn said, definitely push the dealer into fixing the scratches. Chances are, if they are any sort of a decent dealership they would've got the groomer to have a go at it with a cutter. (I know this because I am a groomer part time at a Merc dealership) So it will probably need machine cut at the painters or just do a condition of sale to get scratches fixed. Worth a shot, they probably will do it as it won't cost them much.

They could probably get them landed here for 13-15k...

Edited by BMW POWER

Lots !

When I get to work tomorrow Ill check a few websites and will be able to give you a decent idea.

As an example Im looking at brining in a 2001 Merc A class with around 50k on the clock and as many toys as possible. I reckon I can land one here for around 8-9k whereas some friends have just paid 15k in NZ for one with more miles.

out of curiosity how much profit is a dealer likely to make on a jap import bmw listing at say 20K?

Bearing in mind this is a public auction site (I assume all the savvy importers know better places to go) and the differences in exchange rate depending on where you go, I reckon that as Joe Bloggs off the street you could have an 01 320i with around 30-40k kms on your drive way for around 15k.

Im sure dealers could do it for less and Im sure there are people on here who could give you a better indication than I can....these are just rough and conservative numbers.

interesting about the profit margins, thanks for the info.

also the '99 323i i was looking at had rusted wheels (drums?) that were highly visible through the deep dish mags, i know the rust in this area is very common, but is there a way to get rid of it as it basically makes the car look sh**. my 10 year old 318iS didn't have rust here which is surprising (hehe just rust on the panels ;) ).

i saw another '99 323i today, probably in better condition. it had the colour TV which i would want to get removed for my custom audio setup... heh seems a waste...

the 323s definitely have enough pull up hills, i can't remember if the 320 had the same pull i'll have to test-drive it again.

also the '99 323i i was looking at had rusted wheels (drums?) that were highly visible through the deep dish mags, i know the rust in this area is very common, but is there a way to get rid of it as it basically makes the car look sh**. my 10 year old 318iS didn't have rust here which is surprising (hehe just rust on the panels ;) ).

I think all bmw's do this. My 7 rusts up after a couple of days of inactivity. Taking it for a drive will get rid of it. I agree it looks crap and it drew alot of complaints in the UK (making a new car look terrible) but not much you can do about it.

i saw another '99 323i today, probably in better condition. it had the colour TV which i would want to get removed for my custom audio setup... heh seems a waste...

Based on what Jochen seems to be able to do this is definately a waste !

push them for as much as you can.....its good business!.Go the 323,it will be easier and prolly cheaper in the long run AND you will prolly get slightly better resale....

yeah there are 2 323s i'm looking at (one dealer one private), the dealer almost has no chance unless they drop $3000 lol, and they'd also have to fix all the scratches, swap the mags etc. or they might have a chance if BMW finds something horrible in the checks on the other two cars lol.

i want to keep my next 3 series for a few years and resale value is not too important, i'll lose a bit in either case lol.

i don't think either of the 323s would work out cheaper in the long run than a 320i that's 2 years more recent? i suppose the 320 has done 85Ks and the 323s just under 60, but i don't do much long distance driving so won't add too much. when buying i also look at 'pimp potential' :) and the 320 is already in such mint condition both interior and exterior, it would cost less to get to where i want it.

BMW_POWER is right, i am a groomer as well and at the yard i work at we wouldnt send a car out the door with a scratch on it. So get him to fix that, as for the profit margin in a $20,000 car there wouldnt be that much in it for the dealer. As for the wheels the dealer will only put different ones on if he has a car to take them off, other wise they are cheap on tm.